Windshield wipers..?

• Sponsors (?)

is it only when you hit a bump or somthing like that? it sounds like the switch in the circuit is just making contact every now and then. drive around with your radio off and see if it will turn on every now and then (since the radio is wired in the same circuit as your wipers.) if that is the problem, find a wiring diagram for that circuit and see if you can locate the switch/relay (i personally hate wiring diagrams b/c they are so hard to read most of the time.) then just adjust the switch, or buy a new one. cant be any more than $5 at autozone/pepboys/o'reilly's/advance auto parts, etc just my thoughts

DerekStangGT said:
is it only when you hit a bump or somthing like that? it sounds like the switch in the circuit is just making contact every now and then. drive around with your radio off and see if it will turn on every now and then (since the radio is wired in the same circuit as your wipers.) if that is the problem, find a wiring diagram for that circuit and see if you can locate the switch/relay (i personally hate wiring diagrams b/c they are so hard to read most of the time.) then just adjust the switch, or buy a new one. cant be any more than $5 at autozone/pepboys/o'reilly's/advance auto parts, etc just my thoughts
Thanks bro, that would make sense. It does seem like it happens when I hit a bump or something, but sometimes it just comes on while I'm going down the road. Kind of pisses me off. Where would I find a wiring diagram at? And where would the switch relays be? Are those in that little black box in the engine compartment? Thanks man.

Here you go

TSB 00-9-6

ISSUE:
The front windshield wipers may operate while the multifunction switch is in the OFF position on some vehicles. This may be caused by a resistance drift in the multifunction switch or a partially plugged-in connector.

ACTION:
If the uncommanded wiper operation condition is present and all wiper related connectors are fully seated, install a revised multifunction switch.

Matto said:
Thanks bro, that would make sense. It does seem like it happens when I hit a bump or something, but sometimes it just comes on while I'm going down the road. Kind of pisses me off. Where would I find a wiring diagram at? And where would the switch relays be? Are those in that little black box in the engine compartment? Thanks man.
the little black box to which you refer is the fuse box. thats a good place to check too. refer to your users manual to know which fuse is your wiper fuse and check it. it should be good tho. if its bad, the little squigly metal peice in the middle will be broken or seperated, but it should be fine. wiring diagrmas can be found online i assume. look for your wiper/radio circuit :nice:

ToplessStang said:
Here you go

TSB 00-9-6

ISSUE:
The front windshield wipers may operate while the multifunction switch is in the OFF position on some vehicles. This may be caused by a resistance drift in the multifunction switch or a partially plugged-in connector.

ACTION:
If the uncommanded wiper operation condition is present and all wiper related connectors are fully seated, install a revised multifunction switch.
Thanks, so what does this mean? I'm a little slow, does that mean I can go to the dealership and give them that number, 0096, and they'd be able to know what I'm talking about? Also, since it's a TSB, does that mean they fix it for free, or no?

Thanks Derek, not sure how I'm gonna go about this, but I appreciate the response. :)

Matto said:
Thanks, so what does this mean? I'm a little slow, does that mean I can go to the dealership and give them that number, 0096, and they'd be able to know what I'm talking about? Also, since it's a TSB, does that mean they fix it for free, or no?

Thanks Derek, not sure how I'm gonna go about this, but I appreciate the response. :)

No problem. It's the switch or arm you use to turn on the wipers. I've replaced a few at work already. Here is the part #

1999/2000 Mustang YR3Z-13K359-AAA

Good luck and let us know :nice: .

ToplessStang said:
No problem. It's the switch or arm you use to turn on the wipers. I've replaced a few at work already. Here is the part #

1999/2000 Mustang YR3Z-13K359-AAA

Good luck and let us know :nice: .

Alrighty, appreciate it. So Ford should have the part in stock, I hope? Do you remember how much the part cost? And could you give me a little info on how to go about changing it out. Thanks again, :)

Remove the ignition switch lock cylinder.
Insert the ignition key into the ignition switch lock cylinder and turn to RUN position.
Push the ignition switch lock cylinder release tab with a punch while pulling out the ignition switch lock cylinder.

Remove the tilt wheel handle.

Remove the upper and lower steering column shrouds.
Remove the screws.

Remove the multifunction switch.
Remove the screws.
Disconnect the electrical connectors.

Installation

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

ToplessStang said:
Remove the ignition switch lock cylinder.
Insert the ignition key into the ignition switch lock cylinder and turn to RUN position.
Push the ignition switch lock cylinder release tab with a punch while pulling out the ignition switch lock cylinder.

Remove the tilt wheel handle.

Remove the screws.

Remove the screws.
Disconnect the electrical connectors.

Installation

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Thanks man, appreciate the help. :)