Windsor cam install, whos done one?!

SilverBullet00

Jul 5, 2004
Wichita, KS
I know I have, 3 times on my own car! And everytime I have the same problem with surging and stalling. I have to main questions for people that have done the install before on a WINDSOR motor.

a) do you have a picture of the cam cap oreintation? mine are all in the right spots, but at the time I didnt know oreintation was an issue.

b) how freely does the cam spin with the followers out and chains off?

My cams dont spin by hand, I need a wrench to adjust them to get them to line up with the chain. They are torqued down correctly in the proper sequence.

Sunday I am going to try and degree them (even though NO ONE else had to) and try and solve the problem- 4th time is the charm!!!!!

Thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

WOT said:
When I built my motor the cams spun easy without the chains and rockers in.

Easy enough that if I spun it hard enough they would continue to turn for half to 3/4 a turn on their own.

so you torqued them down to the 89 in lbs and they spun freely? I think I may have something really wrong...

And no, I havent gone for a dyno tune yet, I have tried 4 very different tunes from Tim at MPH and all share the same characteristics, its not the tune.

WOT said:
When I built my motor the cams spun easy without the chains and rockers in.

Easy enough that if I spun it hard enough they would continue to turn for half to 3/4 a turn on their own.

that doesnt sound right. not calling you aliar or any thing but i had a 5.4 w/ PI heads in my possetion for awile and i needed a wrench on the cam bolt to turn them. and they were off of the motor. the motor only had 3,000 miles on it when the owner had Ford swap it out of their Expedition.