Winter Driving?

40thAnv.GT

Aug 13, 2004
Michigan
I live in michigan where the winters can get preety bad. I was just wondering for the people who only have there stang to drive what tires do u use and what kind of other things do u do to deal with winter? thank god i dont have to drive my stang come winter!

• Sponsors (?)

I have used the stock Goodyears, Toyo proxes, and am just about to get some new tires(maybe some BFG G forces) not sure yet. I always wanted to get snow tires and rims but winter is so long I don't think I could stand driving with those ugly thingson for that long. I just drive real slow and hope that it isn't icy. To say the least it is exciting.

Shelby Township here. I'm going to Russ Milne Ford tomorrow to see what kind of a lease deal I can get on a Ranger 4x4 Super Cab, or a F-150 STX 4x4. Jerome Duncan had an ad in the paper, but I wouldn't buy a glass of water from those A$$HOLES. I might look into a Dodge Dakota 4x4 too. My dad is a Chrysler retiree, so I get discounts from 2 of the Big 3. If I can't get a good lease deal, I'll be buying a beater. :D The way I see it though, I figure 3,000 is what I'd have to pay for a DECENT BEATER, I can get a 2 year lease for about the same amount. Might as well get something that I don't have to worry about possibly having to dump money into. I've got a 2003 F-150 FX4 Super Crew, but that's what my wife will be driving.

i was just thinking about this the other day. here in new york it isnt bad but we catch a couple of storms here and there. I have "All Season Performance" tires in the back.(pirelli zero neros) im sure it will be fine for light snow. I had the stock GoodYr GT+4s when i bought the car at last march and the day i picked it up it snowed 1" and i had no trouble driving it home even though it was my first RWD, Higher HP car or 5-spd car. So i am pretty confident. plus if it snows any more than 2 inches, school is closed and the major roads will be plowed so i should be ok for work. IMO i would spend 350 on a beater just to get throught the winter before i would buy ugly ass snowtires.

Another thing...im realy worried about messing up my stangs paint due to the sand and salt and stuff. the last thing I need is more rock chips. would you guys think getting a bra for winter is a good idea? thats what i was panning on soing.

AirWolf87 said:
Another thing...im realy worried about messing up my stangs paint due to the sand and salt and stuff. the last thing I need is more rock chips. would you guys think getting a bra for winter is a good idea? thats what i was panning on soing.

Don't get a bra!! It'll only screw up your paint some more.

While we're talking about winter driving, I've been thinking of getting the car lowered. To anyone that has their car lowered and must drive through snowy conditions, has the reduced clearance caused problems?

I live in Colorado, last year I had the stock tires on all winter with near to no tread, the trick is to start out in second with traction control off. This year I'll probly get studded tires and some crap 16's or something :p

I have Kuhmo 711s on right now with siping and they seem a lot more stable than the stock tires dry or wet, but we are expecting a heavy winter so I'm expecting studs :p

GT JAY said:
Shelby Township here. I'm going to Russ Milne Ford tomorrow to see what kind of a lease deal I can get on a Ranger 4x4 Super Cab, or a F-150 STX 4x4. Jerome Duncan had an ad in the paper, but I wouldn't buy a glass of water from those A$$HOLES. I might look into a Dodge Dakota 4x4 too. My dad is a Chrysler retiree, so I get discounts from 2 of the Big 3. If I can't get a good lease deal, I'll be buying a beater. :D The way I see it though, I figure 3,000 is what I'd have to pay for a DECENT BEATER, I can get a 2 year lease for about the same amount. Might as well get something that I don't have to worry about possibly having to dump money into. I've got a 2003 F-150 FX4 Super Crew, but that's what my wife will be driving.

I was looking for an $8k beater 4x4. Looked and looked and found nothing here of interest in Jersey. Ended up buying a 2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4x4 Sport Plus with 4.7L V8. MSRP was 28,215, brought it home for $19,288 (after 5k in rebates).

Best decision I've made in a looooong time. Edmunds rates it over the Toyota Tacoma - and way over the Ranger. Not that there's anything wrong with either of them - and deals can certainly be had on the Rangers right now.

My Mach will not see snow again (I drove her all last winter in Jersey and there were about 10 seat-puckering days of driving).

Good luck in the hunt - you can't really go wrong with a Ranger or a Dakota.

holler said:
i mounted 235/45/17 dunlop graspics winter tires to my stock GT rims. works and handles beautifully.

And they look pretty good too.

I have an extra set of wheels with Dunlop WinterSport M2's (245/45/HR17) for my Mach. Stock size. Oh ya - check the classified section here, you *might* see something like them posted for sale <seg> since I just got a new 4x4...

Stangston said:
While we're talking about winter driving, I've been thinking of getting the car lowered. To anyone that has their car lowered and must drive through snowy conditions, has the reduced clearance caused problems?
no if clearence is an issue, ur car isnt going to have the traction to go anywhere anyway.

grodgers said:
I was looking for an $8k beater 4x4. Looked and looked and found nothing here of interest in Jersey. Ended up buying a 2004 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4x4 Sport Plus with 4.7L V8. MSRP was 28,215, brought it home for $19,288 (after 5k in rebates).

Best decision I've made in a looooong time. Edmunds rates it over the Toyota Tacoma - and way over the Ranger. Not that there's anything wrong with either of them - and deals can certainly be had on the Rangers right now.

My Mach will not see snow again (I drove her all last winter in Jersey and there were about 10 seat-puckering days of driving).

Good luck in the hunt - you can't really go wrong with a Ranger or a Dakota.

I had a 97 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4x4. It was loaded to the max. 5.2l,auto, 31" tires and all the goodies. That was the best truck I ever owned. The only reason I sold it was because I got hired in at Ford and people were giving me $hit about driving a Dodge. Szott Ford has a deal right now on a 2004 F-150 STX extended cab 4x4 for $88 a month for a 2 year 12,000 mile lease with $0 down. I'll be going there in the morning.

I bought my car in Green Bay, WI. I got stuck all of the time with stock tires. If it would snow 2", and there was snow already on the roads, not a chance, I have backed out of my drive way after plow went by, and still got stuck on the hard packed snow. I now live in Columbia, MO, the winters here are joke compared to Michigan, I bought some BF Goodrich KDWS mudd and snow for all year, I like them. They are quiet, excellent dry traction, awsome rain traction, we will see this winter. I got them for $130/peice. Tire Rack can't even beat that. They were also delivered for free. I have people J/K. :spot:

honestly, I plow snow for a living, when we plow the ground is initially slicker than if you just drove in the fresh snow. Think of it like a zamboni, we get the majority of the snow off the road, but what is underneath is smooth and polished, plues the blade creates A TON of heat thus melting the snow wich instantly re-freezes and turns into and ice rink. Chemicals or Iceslice (a sand/chemical mixture) are the only things we drop that improve traction and a majority of counties only apply this at problem intersections.... at aprx 30 dollars a gallon (for the cheapest chemical) and 190 a ton for the ice slice we have to be stingy with the spread.
Like I also said, stay in second and turn traction control off and even with crappy tires nothing but the steepest hills will stop you.... stopping downhill is another story... avoid at all costs.