Winter Projects? I need suspension upgrade advice...

jordanvraptor

Founding Member
Aug 3, 2002
Oregon City, OR
With PIR closed its time to think of winter projects. What are yours? Mine is a suspension upgrade for the Cobra. Nothing major, but with over 48K on the car I think its time for new struts and shocks. It may be a factor in the pervasive wheel hop I'm getting nowadays...:shrug: Along with those, I'm thinking of a differential brace and maybe that IRS weld on plate thingy. New bushings might be a good idea too. Just wondering if I should go firmer or softer with an adjustable shock as some recommend for drg racing. Other than that nothing else really planned for the Cobra...:D

What are your projects/dreams?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm hoping to do suspension on the white car as well as subframe connectors. But first, I have to get the kinks out of the 5-speed swap I recently completed. We'll see how much of my budget that takes up first.

With PIR closed its time to think of winter projects. What are yours? Mine is a suspension upgrade for the Cobra. Nothing major, but with over 48K on the car I think its time for new struts and shocks. It may be a factor in the pervasive wheel hop I'm getting nowadays...:shrug: Along with those, I'm thinking of a differential brace and maybe that IRS weld on plate thingy. New bushings might be a good idea too. Just wondering if I should go firmer or softer with an adjustable shock as some recommend for drg racing. Other than that nothing else really planned for the Cobra...:D

What are your projects/dreams?
quick fix for that is to just swap a solid axle in :D

I am planning to do the following:

Mustang
1. Get the tubes on the 8.8 welded and then throw in the race axles, etc.
2. Install Saleen body kit, hood, etc.
3. Get a roll cage installed.
4. Get my torque boxes and subframe connectors welded.
5. Order the transmission, clutch and new driveshaft.

Bronco
1. Install Explorer 8.8" rear and Dana 35 up front.
2. Install suspension lift, 35's, Atlas II and custom gauges

Well I looked into the live axle thing a while back. You have to get a lot of stuff to do it right given the power level. Can't just swap in an axle from a GT and expect it to survive long. Besides, I like the IRS for on the road handling. My Cobra is not just a dragstrip car. I once thought of dedicating it to a race only type deal as my much faster Cobra owning friends have done, but I guess I'm just not as hard core as they are so I humbly give them props and kudos. :)

Well I looked into the live axle thing a while back. You have to get a lot of stuff to do it right given the power level. Can't just swap in an axle from a GT and expect it to survive long. Besides, I like the IRS for on the road handling. My Cobra is not just a dragstrip car. I once thought of dedicating it to a race only type deal as my much faster Cobra owning friends have done, but I guess I'm just not as hard core as they are so I humbly give them props and kudos. :)
bah... just find someone with a built solid axle that wants irs and swap em strait i[, if they allready have a good set of upper and lower control arms, a good posi and upgraded axles you'd be set :nice: