Winter Tire Selection

BlackenedSVT

Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
I wanted to know some of your suggestions about some good winter tires for my GT.

I currently have 17x9's in the front and 17x10.5" wheels in the back. So what do you think would be the best tire sizes to go with for some winter tires, and what brands do you all recommend.

I live in northern NJ and the winters aren't TOO bad here, with it only snowing a few times througout the winter...usually.

Give me some ideas, and opinions. Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

Another vote for the Bridgestone Blizzaks, made a huge difference! I just used 245/45/17 all the way around mounted on my old factory rims.

Some people claim a skinnier tire will cut down through the snow better than wide tires, since less weight is distributed across the tire. Regardless, I wouldn't worry too much about having "wide" rear snow tires.

The tread wears down on these tires rather quickly, so beware if you buy any of these used.

Well, good luck finding the appropriate size in Blizzaks. I don't THINK they make 285s or 295s. Why would you want snow tires on a fattie? I use my stock chrome bullitts for my winter tire and put the chrome saleens away for the winter.

you are going to have a hard time finding wide tires in winter tires.

I would look for a set of stock rims and run 245's or 255's all they way around. I think 255 or 265 is as wide as you will find. that is pretty narrow for a 10.5 rim.

Just buy 16 inch steel wheels and have them mounted when you buy the tires. I got 4 winter snow tires with steel wheels mounted and shipped to my door for $600. Spending money on snow tires to fit your summer rims is a waste of time, money, and a good way to ruin your wheels. Not only will you be changing them over constantly, risking gouging the rims, you'll also be subjecting them to sand/salt/etc. and the other perils of winter. They aren't pretty, but with the steelies you have one less thing to worry about, not to mention you save money, and the car performs better in the snow (yes, a narrower snow tire works better).

I run 225 width dunlop Graspic DS-2 tires and my car (no abs/trac) is a snow monster. Plus people think its a cop mustang and slow down when they get near me ;)

-T

DSCN2748.jpg

back to this
DSCN2880.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN2748.jpg
    DSCN2748.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN2880.jpg
    DSCN2880.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 73
I cringe at the idea of driving my mustang in the winter. Not so much for what I can afford for winter tires and wheels but what about the moron that is driving a $1500 toyota coup with bald tires that slides into you...?

FWIW... get a cheap "winter beater" and corral that pony. :nice:

Buy Dunlop M3's

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum but anyways...I have an 03 gt, it had the chrome 99 cobra rims on it and I live in Michigan and the winters can be harsh. Unfortunately I can not afford a beat for this winter, so I ended up buying some 96-98 alloy GT rims so the chrome ones wont chip in the winter. I bought some Dunlop M3's in 245/45/17's all around and let me tell you. The difference is night and day. I would suggest these tires in a heart beat. They ride nice in both snow and dry pavement. I have heard good things about the blizzaks, and planned on buying those, but the Dunlop's were on sale and I heard they were a bit better. But good luck and I hope you go with the best.

I'm trying to sell a set of four Pirelli Winter 240 Snowsport tires on a set of stock Mustang GT rims. Wheels have 300 miles (not from me) and the tires have 0...that's right, I've never driven on them. Mounted, balanced, and ready to roll. PM me if interested.

UDT - the black steelies are like $25 a piece when you buy them with the tires, plus they mount and balance them for free for you if you order from Tire Rack. Ordering tires for your existing wheels you'll pay almost equal shipping and you'll pay for mounting and balancing TWICE each year, and some shops charge up to $40 a tire for this.

With the crappy steel wheels you just throw them in the basement after the winter and haul them out next december.

superbuick said:
UDT - the black steelies are like $25 a piece when you buy them with the tires, plus they mount and balance them for free for you if you order from Tire Rack. Ordering tires for your existing wheels you'll pay almost equal shipping and you'll pay for mounting and balancing TWICE each year, and some shops charge up to $40 a tire for this.

With the crappy steel wheels you just throw them in the basement after the winter and haul them out next december.
That seems like a pretty good idea, but the friggin Blizzaks are $152 to start, so that's like $700 for a full set with steel wheels. I paid less than that for my Pirelli PZero Neros.

I run 16" wheels off my old 95 gt.
Then run Blizzak Revo 1's. Great ice traction. Don't know about deep snow yet. Snow tires are a must for Mustang IMO.

215 60 15 is what I run for snows. I've always run narrower snows and works well.

GDawg said:
I cringe at the idea of driving my mustang in the winter. Not so much for what I can afford for winter tires and wheels but what about the moron that is driving a $1500 toyota coup with bald tires that slides into you...?

FWIW... get a cheap "winter beater" and corral that pony. :nice:

I totally agree. I drive a sweet '94 Beretta in the winter & whenever it rains in the summer. I picked it up for $850 from a local car auction & it has ran beautifully since I bought it last year. You might want to see what the local car auctions offer in your area.

comatose said:
I totally agree. I drive a sweet '94 Beretta in the winter & whenever it rains in the summer. I picked it up for $850 from a local car auction & it has ran beautifully since I bought it last year. You might want to see what the local car auctions offer in your area.

I drive my totally stock '98 GT year round with 15" V6 wheels and 4 studded snow tires. Goes quite well in the crappy stuff. As for the $1500 jalopy, that's what you have insurance and the courts for.

FORGET the blizaks. Get Winterforce tires (with or without studs) and 15" steel wheels. Tire Rack sells them. Search using V6 as your car though.