Winter traction help

I'm looking for solution to assist winter traction. I run Goodyear 235/45-17 UltraGrip GW3 on my stock rims and usually put 150# of sand (3 plastic bags) in the trunk. I've had no problem in 2-winters --except worrying about what the bags do if I end up in a big spin. I was thinking of using a layer of small interlocking paving stones. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Personally i would rather be hit with sand than a big paving stone, unless you roll you car over or a head a at 50 + mph those sand bags are not going to move much, in either case you would probably die anyway, Use the sand put a ratchet strap Around them and secure it. Also option 2 buy a 500 dollar beater and use that for winter.

if you can, put the sand bags in the footwell of the rear seat as opposed to the trunk. if they are not positioned correctly in the trunk you could potentially be placing the weight behind the rear wheels and effectively lightening the front wheels.

and i solved my winter driving problems by parking my GT and buying a 4wd blazer...

The best thing is sand or salt..just put the salt in a couple of heavy bags, so it doesn't get out and rust your trunk. The reason for this is, if you do still get stuck, you can pour the sand or salt around your tires, and it will give them grip to get you out....this works, I know because I tried it one winter. Man was I happy I used that stuff. Also I used 225-60-r16 tires on pony wheels, and they got through the snow awesome. No the speedometer was not off because they are the same overall height as the 245-45-r17's

Best thing for winter traction is put the Cobra in the garage and buy a cheap FWD beater car...:nice:

And as for the sandbags...sure they might give you good traction in the back, but they'll raise the front end up giving you less steering capability...kind of a win-lose situation...