WiNTeRiZiNG the STaNG 101

stang976

Apr 13, 2004
Westchester, NY
I know it is still early to be thinking about this but this cold weather got me wondering. can someone tell me the best way to prepare a car to hibornate through the winter? (example: drain oil, coat tires to prevent dry rotting, ) :shrug: many thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

NO NO NO....do not drain the oil. Where are you storing it? If its in a garage, then put some Stabil in the gas, top off the gas tank and park it. Also, I'm not sure about synthetic oil, but I believe that dino oil can become corrosive with age. It would be a good idea to put fresh oil in it to prevent that.

If you're parking it outside in a car-port or with a cover, then you will probably need to do more, but I'm not sure what all is required :shrug:

Do Not Drain the oil. :nonono: I would check the antifreeze and make sure it is good, maybe even have the system flushed and new antifreeze put in.Your car's tires shouldn't dry rot over the course of winter.Are you running synthetics?I would start it up occasionally to keep the battery charged.

Good question, I was wondering the same thing ( I just bought a winter car). I heard that you can get flat spots on the tires if you dont move it around in the winter? Is this true if you are only parked for 6 months? If so, how do you prevent it?

Also I have heard that you should put a bar of soap in your car because it will keep mice out ( i dont know how much truth there is to that claim), and someone else told me to tape up my exhaust tips so that nothing can get in there....that part makes sense to me.

ALSO, Is it okay to remove the battery altogether? I have a yellow top and I would like to use it in my winter car? Would it be a problem if my stang had no battery for 6 months? I dont plan on starting it in the winter anyway.

MyEarsHurt said:
Good question, I was wondering the same thing ( I just bought a winter car). I heard that you can get flat spots on the tires if you dont move it around in the winter? Is this true if you are only parked for 6 months? If so, how do you prevent it?

Also I have heard that you should put a bar of soap in your car because it will keep mice out ( i dont know how much truth there is to that claim), and someone else told me to tape up my exhaust tips so that nothing can get in there....that part makes sense to me.

ALSO, Is it okay to remove the battery altogether? I have a yellow top and I would like to use it in my winter car? Would it be a problem if my stang had no battery for 6 months? I dont plan on starting it in the winter anyway.

I guess you could jack up the car and manually rotate the tires if that is an issue, either that or just put it on jackstands. :shrug:

The taping of tailpipes might be a good idea.Your car will be ok without a battery, but I don't know about not starting it for 6 months. :shrug:

stang976 said:
YES MY 5.0 had brand new pirellis on them before i let her hibernate, and 6 months later they were flatter than a 9 year old girlscout.
:lol: :rlaugh: :lol: :rlaugh:

Sorry about your loss man, that sucks but that was pretty funny to read...so do most people start up there stangs during storage time? If so, how often? Once a week, once a month? Whats the best way to do this?