Wiper problem

HP Addiction

Founding Member
Jun 14, 2002
Long Island
I'm having a very difficult time figuring this problem out. When I turn my wipers to the delay/intermittent setting they get stuck half way up and wont move. The high and low settings work fine. However, even on the high and low setting the wipers stop wherever they are when the switch is turned off. Essentially the don't independently return to the resting positions. I have changed the wiper motor but the problem persists. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

There is a "park-run" switch integrated into the wiper motor assembly. When you select intermittent operation, a relay in the Generic Electronics Module ("GEM") powers the wiper motor for a fraction of a second. Once the wiper arms begin to move, the internal switch transfers from "park" to "run", and maintains power to the motor until it completes a full cycle.

In non-intermittent modes, the internal switch ensures the motor always stops in the park position, regardless of when you turn off the power.

If your luck is good, the cause could be just a broken wire or bad connection at the wiper assembly. On the other hand, if your luck is not so good, you might need to replace the motor assembly. You might try one from a wrecking yard, to be sure it's the motor, before buying a new one.

I recommend to heat the plastic cowl piece (the black part between hood and windshield that covers the wiper mechanism) with a hair dryer do avoid snapping the retainers when you try to remove it.

My bad. I didn't notice you already had tried a new wiper motor. Unfortunately, this points to a bad connection between the wiper switch on the steeering column, and the motor assembly. The bad connection could be within the wiper switch or at the connector.

While the wipers are stuck in a non-park position' I would try rapping the steering column in the area of the wiper switch (with a piece of wood or rubber mallet) to see if the cycle will then complete.

I will try giving the column a whack to help assess the possibility of a loose connection. If this is the case, would changing the control switch on the steering column resolve the issue. If so, is this a complicated job?

I will try giving the column a whack to help assess the possibility of a loose connection. If this is the case, would changing the control switch on the steering column resolve the issue. If so, is this a complicated job?

It's not that hard. I had to replace mine cause the wipers would come on every so often all by themselves even when not switched on. Very annoying. You basically have to remove the bottom cover to the steering column and have access to the
switch there. It's a bit of a pain to get in and out due to where it's located. But not too bad. Good luck and I hope it fixes your problem. It should.