wire hiding. pics

woodyy24

Mar 30, 2005
illinois
started in on it today. i still have lots to do tho. the only thing i couldnt fit thru the hole in the back of the passenger side was the front bumper light, it uses one of those push and twist bulbs. i just cut it and reconnected it.

anyway, heres some pics. if anybody has some tips for the big harness thing behind the motor lets hear em. the fuel pump is getting moved to the back and my fuel pressure guage (copper tubing) is going where the wiper motor used to be.

before (hideous)

100_0786-1.jpg

and now

100_2231.jpg

100_2232.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Man i desperately need to get on this with my heap. It's got so many unused wires under the hood from when it was a police car, and so many things that i honesty don't even know the purpose of. When i get around to doing it, i'm gonna pull the whole engine harness out and strip out everything that's not needed and probably end up with about 5 wires.

Man i desperately need to get on this with my heap. It's got so many unused wires under the hood from when it was a police car, and so many things that i honesty don't even know the purpose of. When i get around to doing it, i'm gonna pull the whole engine harness out and strip out everything that's not needed and probably end up with about 5 wires.

same here. i couldnt stand it anymore. my car looks nice from the outside but when i open up the hood its like :ack: and most of it i dont use.

same here. i couldnt stand it anymore. my car looks nice from the outside but when i open up the hood its like :ack: and most of it i dont use.

Man we should get together and make a write up for the carbed guys. Me personally i'm running a Mallory Comp 9000 distributor which has the ignition module built in, so i only use one hot wire for that and that's basically it. I've got some other hot wires ran to relays for my fog lights and fan and stuff like that but i think that's really about it....no electric choke, no AC, maybe a wire to my washer sprayer? I've got a buddy of mine who does a lot of wiring and if we ever get around to it we're gonna sit down and sort through everything i need and find another harness and just make one from scratch that has a few extra hot wires in case i need to add anything later. Then as far as all my gauges go i'm gonna wire all of them directly to whatever they're monitoring just like aftermarket gauges.

Man we should get together and make a write up for the carbed guys. Me personally i'm running a Mallory Comp 9000 distributor which has the ignition module built in, so i only use one hot wire for that and that's basically it. I've got some other hot wires ran to relays for my fog lights and fan and stuff like that but i think that's really about it....no electric choke, no AC, maybe a wire to my washer sprayer? I've got a buddy of mine who does a lot of wiring and if we ever get around to it we're gonna sit down and sort through everything i need and find another harness and just make one from scratch that has a few extra hot wires in case i need to add anything later. Then as far as all my gauges go i'm gonna wire all of them directly to whatever they're monitoring just like aftermarket gauges.

thats a good idea.
i think the only stuff i use from the original harness is the head lights, fog lights and such. everything else, MSD, fuel pump, fan, nitrous... i ran my own relays and switches. altho im not sure exactly what wires i REALLY need.

anywho, ill be working on it some more tomorrow(had work all day today). so expect some more pics.

What i wanna do if possible is run a key on from the column and that be the ONLY wire coming out of the firewall that has to do with running the engine. That single key on is gonna run whatever relays i need to run the distributor and fan and all that. Right now sad to say i've got a few things ghetto wired into my fuze box and i really don't like that. Plus with just one wire coming from the column, i'll be able to hide a kill switch somewhere in the car to stop any would-be thief.

What i wanna do if possible is run a key on from the column and that be the ONLY wire coming out of the firewall that has to do with running the engine. That single key on is gonna run whatever relays i need to run the distributor and fan and all that. Right now sad to say i've got a few things ghetto wired into my fuze box and i really don't like that. Plus with just one wire coming from the column, i'll be able to hide a kill switch somewhere in the car to stop any would-be thief.

id use the single key on hot wire just for the ignition/starter. just cuz the wire is only so big. and if you ran your own wires and relays to switches you can turn your fan, fuel on and off when you want. say your car was over heating, well you can run into the gas station and grab some coolant while your fan is cooling the engine and not have to worry about someone trying to steal your car cuz youll have the keys. plus having a panel full of switches looks kewl, haha :nice:

Yeah i like that idea but i KNOW that i'd forget to flip something off and kill my battery....i used to do it all the time when i had my fan on a switch.

However i bet i could wire in some kind of buzzer that would go off when you shut the car off that is activated by any of the switches being turned on...now that would really be cool.

passenger side is done, and the car still runs!! haha.

100_2249.jpg

100_2250.jpg

i took my fuel pump and regualtor off, and started making a mount for the fuel pressure guage. but heres what i have to work with on the driver side.

100_2251.jpg

Aren't you gonna be pissed when you get everything together and your coil takes a dump on ya? I wanna hide wires but i also want anything that may need replacing to be easily accessible.

Aren't you gonna be pissed when you get everything together and your coil takes a dump on ya? I wanna hide wires but i also want anything that may need replacing to be easily accessible.

ya, im hoping it works for a while. even if it does crap out, all id have to do to change it is take the inner fenderwell out. right now i took the fender off just to make it easier. i probably wont take the driver side fender off, just the inner fender well.

passenger side is done, fender is on and everything. i got it all back together and there was a gap between my fender and the bumper cover, turns out the stud all the way at the top screwed its way out of the bumper. i had to take everything back apart just to screw it back in. :nonono:

now about my voltage regulator, do i still need it since ive upgraded to a 3g alternator?