wiring a toggle switch

5.0 FanAddict

May 25, 2006
which way is the correct way to wire a toggle switch, #1 OR #2 ??

Thanks~

Attachments

• toggle 2.JPG
    toggle 2.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 172
  • toggle 2222.JPG
    toggle 2222.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 126
  • Sponsors (?)

Niether of those is correct. You don't bring 12V with the potential of 100+ amps into the cockpit when it can be easily avoided. A small nick inthe insulation is all that's required to cause a huge short or much worse. Here's a diagram of how a toggle switch controlling an electrical device should be wired. Only the toggle switch is inside of the car while the power feed and relay remain in the engine compartment. It takes very little power to operate a relay and wires going to and coming from the relay can be tapped from an already fused source at the fuse panel.

doorlock0pc.jpg

This diagram was for a door lock actuator but applies to just about any thing else you'd like to power with it. A fuse (if required) would be run inline of the positive lead between the power source and the device you intend to control.

Attachments

• doorlock0pc.jpg
    doorlock0pc.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 111
The other nice thing about this kind of setup is that you can also wire the relay to an ignition switched power source so that the device you're operating can not remain powered without the key in the "ON" postion. That tap would be between the switch and ignition power. You need only swap the locations of power and ground to opposite ends on the diagram above.

Your very right Dagger. Thats how I had my driving lights wired when I had them. Without the relay the amps pulling through the line are hard on fuses too. I was just answering the simple part of the question without going into what was actually being wired up. The relays are cheap and easy to wire, they even make connectors for them so you don't have to use crimp-on or solderless connectors and tape.

I don't know which kind of relay to get or where to get them. I don't plan on wiring too much also in my car cept maybe an amp for a little power for the stereo but this is nice to know for later. Could someone elaborate on where to get such a relay and how do we know it is the correct relay? I am sure there are many out there. soryr if I stole this thread. Jon

old_blue said:
I don't know which kind of relay to get or where to get them. I don't plan on wiring too much also in my car cept maybe an amp for a little power for the stereo but this is nice to know for later. Could someone elaborate on where to get such a relay and how do we know it is the correct relay? I am sure there are many out there. soryr if I stole this thread. Jon

Any auto parts store will have this type of relay. Look in the "HELP" section.