wiring alarm into parking lights

nds03

Jul 21, 2004
im almost finished installing an alarm into a 65 coupe. the alarm has one wire for the parking lights. my problem is the light switch has a separate wire for the front park lights and rear lights. when i turn on the parking lights, they all light up, but when i turn on the headlights, the front parking lights turn off while the rear lights stay on. if i wire the alarm parking wire into both of them, it will cause the front parking lights to stay on while the headlights are on. i was wondering if it would work if i used a relay, wire 85 and 86 into the alarm park wire, have 12 volts going to 87 and 30 going to brake lights. :shrug:

sorry for the headache

• Sponsors (?)

Try poking around here
This link will take you to the door lock section, but there are other places where you should be able to get more info on what you specifally need. The reason I have that link handy is that's the only place that showed how to wire a car alarm into power door locks without having to use four relays. It's a 67 and I decided I didn't want a door lock switch in the car, the power locks only work with the alarm's remote. Err I hope they do, I haven't hooked it all up yet.
I also noted Ford's funny business with the park lights. I considered just using the front lights but decided to go ahead and try and figure out how to make the taillights flash too. I got stopped befire that point because of a bunch of other wiring projects I'm doing. And the fact that I don't have any diodes anyway. Since I happened to be running other wires in the same area it only made sense to get some of the alarm stuff put in too. In other words I didn't just sit down and decide to install the alarm. So finishing it likely isn't nearly as high a priority as it probably is for you. I'm not just a whole lot of help am I? :rolleyes:

ive already seen that sight, but thanks. be carefull when you wire those door locks into the alarm, i did it wrong and fried a bunch of wires, but thats cause they were not fused at the time.

if anyone knows how to use diodes, let me know, thanks.

nds03 said:
im almost finished installing an alarm into a 65 coupe. the alarm has one wire for the parking lights. my problem is the light switch has a separate wire for the front park lights and rear lights. when i turn on the parking lights, they all light up, but when i turn on the headlights, the front parking lights turn off while the rear lights stay on. if i wire the alarm parking wire into both of them, it will cause the front parking lights to stay on while the headlights are on. i was wondering if it would work if i used a relay, wire 85 and 86 into the alarm park wire, have 12 volts going to 87 and 30 going to brake lights. :shrug:

sorry for the headache
Ever figure this out?

Here's what I think needs to be done:

Wire the single flash output from the alarm to both the front and rear parking light leads. To keep this from making the front parking lights stay on when your headlights are on you use a diode. Place the diode in the alarm flash wire that runs to the rear parking lights. Then splice in a jumper wire from the front parking light wire to the alarm flash wire upstream of the diode. The diode should be oriented with the stripe end toward the rear parking lamps.

This way, the alarm flash wire will send a pulse through to both the front and rear lights, but the rear lights can't send current to the front lights because the diode stops it.

OK I did this today on a 67 fastback and what I said above works, but I can state it more clearly now that I've done it.

Split the single wire coming from the alarm that flashes the parking lights so it branches into two leads. Splice one of them into the front parking lights wire. Splice the other one into the taillights wire, but somewhere along its length cut it and place a 1N4001 diode inline, so that the stripe end of the diode is away from the source (nearest the taillights).

That way, current can't flow back from the taillight circuit to the front parking lights when your headlights are on.

This flashes front parking lights and taillights when you arm/disarm the alarm, and all other lighting functions as normal.

I paid 59 cents for a 2-pack of the diodes at Radio Shack.