Wiring Flaming River column in a 65

have seen posts regarding this question, but after about an hour of trying to research them, I'm giving up an will ask the questions again. We've installed a FR tilt column in our 65. for the wiring, we're running into some problems. this vehicle does not have an emergency flasher. In following FR's wiring guide ( which is questionable) having some problems. We have a new main harness which is for gauges. Currently we do not have the brake light switch wired to the column

When we turn the ignition switch on, BOTH rear turn signals come on and flaah. This is with the tun signal switch in the "neutral" positon. The front turn signals do not come on at all.

According to FR the wiring should be:

Color
FR White - Brake light Switch to - Must green/red
FR D. Green - RR Turn Signal to - Must orange/blue
FR Yellow - LR Turn Signal to - Must green/orange
FR Purple - TS poweer to - Must white/red**
FR Brown Hazard Power Must not used
FR Dk Blue - RF Turn Sig to - Must white/blue
FR Lt Blue Lf turn Sig. to - Must Green/white

**Our main harness does not have a white/red wire.Currently we're using the blue wire from the flasher to the FR purple wire.

Several months ago, someone posted a different wiring diagram other than the standard diagrams and that appeared to show power coming from the fuse box thru the flasher and going to the turn signal switch. this wire is blue - note all the color codes on this particual diagram match all the standard wiring diagrams.

any help or links would be helpful

Thanks Ralph

Edited by truck90278 on 02-27-09 11:11 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

• Sponsors (?)

Here is a 65 diagram you can compare. I have all this in the shop for the flaming river kit, but am in Atlantic City for the auction. Look this over and maybe someone else will run through this problem before I get home to look it up. Can you post a detailed list of the FR wiring?

That was not the right url...

1965e.jpg

Here is a 65 diagram you can compare. I have all this in the shop for the flaming river kit, but am in Atlantic City for the auction. Look this over and maybe someone else will run through this problem before I get home to look it up. Can you post a detailed list of the FR wiring?

That was not the right url...

1965e.jpg

I am using the same diagram. I listed the FR column wiring in the post along with what FR identifies as the corresponding Mustang wire colors

I saw that. THe instructions should have a little more detail. Their web site is pretty weak. No .PDF files with instructions either.
You should have it right. Are you sure the hazard button on the steering column isn't pushed in? THey are very stiff. If you can't push it in to make it click, you need to try and pull it out.

I saw that. THe instructions should have a little more detail. Their web site is pretty weak. No .PDF files with instructions either.
You should have it right. Are you sure the hazard button on the steering column isn't pushed in? THey are very stiff. If you can't push it in to make it click, you need to try and pull it out.

I did check the hazard button and it is pulled out. FR's instructions sound straight forward, but the wiring doesn't work out well and from various posts over time, it appears I'm not the only one with dificulties getting the wiring sorted out

thanks