Wiring for my 67 mustang.

Joe5688

May 17, 2006
Algonquin
First off i'd like to introduce my self. My names Joe. I'm 18 and i live in IL. I have a '67 coupe with a 302. I've been rebuilding it for the last year. I'm on alot of forums for my other car and this is only my second mustang forum.

I finally got my engine put back in my stang and everythings done except for a few small things. How do i figure out the wiring for it. There is only 4-5 connectors to plug in. SHould i just guess and check? lol

Here is some pix. If anyone is local feel free to stop by and help :) She's been down for almost a year.
There is 5 wires, 3 come from the dist. 2 come from i'm not sure where? They go to a box mounted on the side of my engine bay, just not sure where to plug em in lol.
p10100020kh.jpg
p10100038ry.jpg
p10100046lh.jpg

I believe these are just the ground for the Alt. but let me know if i'm wrong.
p10100011xy.jpg

p1010002edit18oz.jpg
Thanks for any help

-joe

Attachments

• p10100020kh.jpg
    p10100020kh.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 90
  • p10100038ry.jpg
    p10100038ry.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 81
  • p10100046lh.jpg
    p10100046lh.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 51
  • p10100011xy.jpg
    p10100011xy.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 85
  • p1010002edit18oz.jpg
    p1010002edit18oz.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 93
  • Sponsors (?)

Those don't look like '67 connectors. I think you have a updated ignition system from an '80's style if you have 3 wires coming from the distributor.

Maybe someone else can recognize them. :shrug:

Those are DEFINITELY not 1967 connectors.

If it helps you out I have copies of the wiring diagrams for '67 Mustangs on my site. Click on this link to list the files, the wiring ones all start with "67" and you can tell which diagram by the word after the "67".

Oh and welcome to :SNSign: :flag:

65ShelbyClone said:
Those look like early/mid-'80s Duraspark plugs.

Were all those loose spade connectors stuck on the individual terminals in those plugs? I can't tell where any of the wires go in the pics.

Yeah they went to the plugs. I'm hoping that diagram can help, i also dont see any wires to go to my ignition coil. The coil doesn't look like u'd be able to connect any wires unless u just strip a wire and wrap it around one of the tops.

Those are duraspark connectors bigger than snot. Real easy hookup.

As for the rest of the wiring, it's easy. I wouldn't guess since wiring diagrams are free (http://midlife66.com/wiring/wiring.html) just download 67must.zip and there you go.

The PO of my 66 had the coil wire hooked to the temp sender. :eek: so it is possible to screw it up :D Lucky him it didnt hurt anything and after I bought the diagrams, it was fixed in 15 minutes hehe

I think i figured out the wiring for the dizzy. The only thing i cant find is any wires to go to the ign. coil.

I put in my battery and connected the + & -. Everything went fine until i followed the ground from the battery to the little distributor box or w/e it is above my battery. It had a positive on 1 side, then 2 connectors in the middle then a negative on the other. I checked it with a dmm, and it was a ground so i just grounded it to the battery.

I went to start the car and it make clicking noises and i looked up and there was smoke coming from the + & - cables connected to the battery. The only things i can think of is maybe to ground it to the engine or chassis, or maybe the starter cables are not on right? Anyone know.

For those of u who dont know what im' talking about here is a pic of what it is.

Attachments

• 0017084160_engine.jpg
    0017084160_engine.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 61
That's not the dizzy box, thats the starter solinoid. With all the clicking and smoke, the contacts are probably welded together now, time for a new solinoid.

The wires go to the ignition switch, one on each post that sticks out of the face of it. I belive those 2 terminals are labled S&I.The one nearest the battery is the S terminal. The wires have 90º push on connectors on them. One wire should be brown and the other is red with a blue stripe. Red/blue wire goes on post nearset batt

The two big lugs on the side of the solonid are for other connections, the big lug nearest the battery is primarily for the + cable.

in ur pic one wire is off, it aint never gonna start like that, been there done that.

No offense, but it sounds like you need a real live person who knows what theyre doin helpin you. the net can only do so much.

stangnet.JPG

HTH
--Kyle
PS: heat/smoke is due to high load, aka a problem. from the way you described it the batt cables is oin wrong

i figured out all the wiring for the dizzy. THe positive on the starter solanoid is connected to the battery from when i 1st got it. It ran. The other side was my problem. THe side post had a 4gauge wire coming out of it. I thought it was a ground but im' guessing not.

If only i had a real live person to help lol

also if my solenoid is screwed where can i buy antoher one?

I felt my solenoid after the wires were smoking and it wasn' hot at all. I dont think it was affected. THe only things that were hot were the positive and gouidn

If the solenoid still clicks, then the contacts aren't stuck and probably still work. Since the solenoid clicks, the key start circuit is probably wired correctly.

It sounds like you just grounded out the battery instead of energizing the starter, but it's hard to tell based just on description. The negative battery cable should be grounded to the engine. The positive goes to the forward large post of the solenoid and the rear post should have a cable going to the termina on the starter.

Joe5688 said:
solenoid was bad, replaced it, corrected the wiring and i have it turning over. GOtta wait till morning to get a oil dipstick and some starting fluid. Any info on starting a rebuilt engine?

1) NO STARTING FLUID!
2) Yank the coil wire and crank the car for about 30sec to get the oil moving.
3) plug coil wire in and start
4) dump a tablespoon of gas down the carb (open the throttle by hand and dump it in)
have an extingusiher handy
5)fire 'er up

I suppose if you get lucky, all that cranking for oil pressure might get the fuel pump primed and the carb filled up. Also, when cranking the engine like that, it doesn't hurt to do it in three 10 second periods and let the starter/battery rest/cool for a little bit.

You shouldn't get any power to the engine bay with the key on ACC.