wiring harness Q's

Opposedodie

Jul 31, 2011
I am helping a friend with his 89 Gt and he has some major wiring problems basically its a basket case of wiring ..Can I use a harness out of any other car on his 89 GT, I am asking this because there isn't any Mustangs in the pick apart in backwoods Idaho... with a complete wiring harness or the parts to put one together.

• Sponsors (?)

Unfortunately, 1989 is a odd year.

For MOST of the harnesses, 87-89 V8's are what you want, except the engine harness. 87-88 are speed density and 89 is MAF, so the harness that runs out of the EEC into the bay would lack the MAF plug and is pinned differently on 87-88 cars than it is on an 89

90+ the harnesses changes slightly and won't mate with pre-90 harnesses.

basically, 1989 is your best bet

I am in Mountain Home, East of Boise...

So if I were to find a 90 harness and was to get the hole harness from light bulb to light bulb it would work?

You may need parts as well. For example the plugs around the steering wheel are different so you might need to change some column parts as well.

It's a unique question i've never seen anyone do before.

How hacked up is this wiring?

Its Bad... someone tried to install I think a Thunderbird harness and it didnt work then they used a mustang comp harness cut wires everywhere ... LOL ... not pretty ... With no Pick-a-Parts with 89 Mustangs its going to hard to get this one back together....