Wiring Harness

jikelly

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jul 9, 2003
Lubbock Tx
I am trying to prepare myself for this summers addition of The Poor Boy's Stang Restoration Cronicles and I thought I'd pick you guys brains for information on replacing a wiring harness.

I'm sure many of you have experanced the excitement of having random headlight outages during a late night drive. Scarry!! I fixed that problem with a few relays, wire and a switch. While it works well I'd like to incorporate it into a new wiring harness. I've got a 73 mustang and have been in need of a new harness for years. I guess the old wires have lost there ability to carry much of the current without producing alot of heat and many of my accesories are not working properly.

Anyway I wanted to ask you guys if you had any experience with replacing a wiring harness. I have seen the harnesses that painless makes and one of those would work but gee does it really have to cost that much? I am thinking I could get a used fuse box from the local junkyard and combine that with new wire from somewhere (what I've seen at the hardware store is pretty limited) and make a new one for less than 80 bucks.

Well let me know what you guys think.
Thanks in advance. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Dunno if you are interested or not, but I just ordered an EZ mini 20 wiring harness for $175 shipped from EZ wiring. While the harness is colored for GM (I dont care) its a universal harness. The only difference will be the wire colors but tehy are labeled every 5" or so. I will be installing it within the next couple weeks and I will let you know how it goes.

I thought about wiring it myself and like you said, it can be done for under $100 but it will be a hassle trying to get different size wires in different colors. I thought the extra $60 was worth the trouble

I am doing the same with a Painless 12 circuit. High quality, pretty good customer service, just a little fustrating trying to figure out some of the switches but overall not overly difficult. Plus when ya go to add extra things everything is labeled so it makes it that much easier.

The painless kit that is an OEM replacement costs over $500 right? You are paying for custom length, custom fit, and stock connectors. The universal kits...beware. Universal to me mean "wont fit anything correctly". Painless kits are of very high quality, the only problem is the instructions are lacking.