Wiring hiding w/gauges.. electrical or mechanical?

mustangillusion

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2001
Oklahoma
I bought some autometer gauges (oil and temp) last week for my gauge cage. I bought mechanical gauges because I know that they are more accurate and reliable, but then I realized that maybe I should have got electrical gauges (all in the name of keeping the engine bay clean). I thought it would be easier to hides wires than cables and lines. What do you think and how would I go about hiding the cables?

• Sponsors (?)

The electrical gauges actually have more exposed junk that goes with them. They have sending units and more wiring. The mechanical gauges only have 1 line that goes out to the engine bay and 2 or three wires that are under the dash. The electric gauges have an awkward sending unit and at least double the wiring. You did good.

your thread says wire hiding but is sound as if your asking how'd you would hide cables.
i think wires would be easier than cables from what i've been readin about hiding wires.
i havn't done either so i'm no expert, it's just what i'ver read.

Mech temp gauges have a capillary tube - there is not hot fluid in the car.

It wont matter either way. Most temp senders (AM for instance) are quite small. The cap tube can lead to issues only because you are limited to its length - if you had a longer tube you could hide it better.

I'd take mech temp any day over electrical - esp if knowing temps is critical (it's hot where you live).

My two cents. Good luck.

Or do braided line if aesthetics are important - you might be able to cover the capillary tube in a faux braided line to make it look nice. :shrug:

Devus, your post reads funny (you meant that it's hard to hide the lines, not wiring, I think). I'd agree with you there. :nice: