Wiring in engine without using factory harness

aaron24699

Jun 2, 2005
Well, here goes. I bought a 1984 mustang mini-stock off of a guy. The car had no motor or tranny, no wiring in it. Well i have since built a 2.3 out of a turbo block, 30 over, flat top pistons, 10:1 comp, esslinger water pump, esslinger left turn oil pan and pick up tube, esslinger timing and crank gear, Holley 2 barrel intake with a holley 350 carb, homemade thru-firewall header. Well, i want to get it put together, but i am stuck on picking out an ignition system. I'm looking to go for just a dual point set up, with a coil, but I'm unsure whats best to get. I seen at racer walsh they offer a mallory dual point dist, and coil for like 250 bucks. This is my first crack at this type of igntion system. I want to keep it as simple yet effective as possible.

When we did my buddies dirt track novice car. We just used the points dist, condensor, and coil. Wired the dist to one side of the coil, energized the coil directly off the battery(with a kill switch) and hooked up the vacumm advance. It was really simple and worked, Thats what i want to do to this 2.3..

• Sponsors (?)

straight out of the msd book
msd box --------------what it hooks to
red -------------------constant hot
black -----------------batt ground
green -----------------violet on dist
violet----------------- orange on dist
white ---------------- dont use (tape up)
small red-------------- switch power
black ------------------coil ground
orange --------------- coil power
(dont use black on ford dist)
hope this helps