wiring mini starter without stock solenoid...

• Sponsors (?)

Change the pos battery cable to a long one that reaches to the starter solenoid. Wire in a Bosch type relay like so. (It can be hidden)

Here is a link on mini starter wiring:

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=667850&highlight

StarterRelay.jpg

Attachments

• StarterRelay.jpg
    StarterRelay.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 28,712
Does the solenoid draw that much currect on the S terminal during cranking, that a relay is required? I wired mine up without a relay and have had no ill effects yet, although I have a modern wiring harness, new ignition switch, and am using a 95 GT starter. Guess I need to put the amp clamp on the wire and see how much current is required to run the solenoid.

Thanks,

Mario

The solenoid on a mini-starter typically draws more current than the fender mounted solenoid. You could probably get away with using the stock switch and wire only, but for reliability, a relay would remove the current load from the ignition switch start contacts.

The Bosch type relay is basically the standard automotive relay used. Just go to any auto parts place and they should be at most 5 bux a pop. The relay sockets are nice to have too. Not all places stock those tho.

True, except the $5 part... more like $12

eBay $2.98 (quality not that great) but you get an idea what to look for.

94_1_b.JPG

Attachments

• 94_1_b.JPG
    94_1_b.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 455
Tim65GT, you mention in the link that you could run the battery and alt. wires to the starter solenoid. I realize the red/blue ign. wire goes to the new relay but what happens to the brown wire on the the other terminal in the fender mounted solenoid?

Rusty67
12 bucks for just a relay ? You sir are WAY overpaying.

Who said I was paying? I don't think you can go to Checker, Pep Boys, ect. and pick up any relay for $5.

I got my last batch from eBay - $10 for 8 of 'em including sockets.

Cheaply made though...They say 30-40Amps, but don't try it. For 10-20Amps they will probably be fine for a long time.

tweet66
Tim65GT, you mention in the link that you could run the battery and alt. wires to the starter solenoid. I realize the red/blue ign. wire goes to the new relay but hat happens to the brown wire on the teh other terminal in the fender mounted solenoid?

That terminal sends the full battery voltage to the positive side of the coil durring cranking. This allows easier starting. Once the car is running and the solenoid is de-energized the coil only gets the reduced 6-9 volts from the ignition resistor wire.

The brown wire can be hooked up to the same wire as the relay output to the solenoid. (Tan wire in diagram)

If you upgrade to an electronic ignition, you do away with the resistor wire and there is no need for the brown wire.