wiring mishap, help!

Chuckman

GTFO you fat, heavy bastard
15 Year Member
Oct 21, 2005
st. louis, mo
so apparently i burned up one of the harnesses in the car, and i cant find this particular one online, as i dont really know what to call it. i know the low brake fluid sensor and and wiper motor are in it, but dont know what else. i dont have any of my manuals with me, and the interwebs is not helping. need to find one soon, so any help, or diagrams if i gotta rebuild the harness, would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

alright, so im still looking for some kind of info as to what harness both the wiper motor and brake fluid sensor plug into. i know one side runs to the inside of the car, im guessing the headlight harness plugs into the other side? i hid my wires in the fender when i had the motor out and cant remember which harness is what, but it looks like this one shorted out somehow and started a small fire. need to get this thing running soon as its siting at my parents house.

so i did get the wiring diagram, stupid email moved it to the junk mail folder (and i made an ass of myself to jrichker, sorry). ive got two more questions now.

1). am i reading it right that the dash/fusebox harness also runs into the bay, and connects with the headlight harness? thats the way im reading the diagrams, making sure im not as stupid as i think i am.

2). will an 87-88 dash harness interchange with and 89 harness? i know the 90+ should be different because of the airbags, but dont know if the change to maf also changes something in the dash harness.

if i have to, i'll rebuild this harness myself, but i really dont want to have to considering that theres a lot of charred wire now (checked inside the fender, theres even more burn there, dont know what stopped it from burning up the whole car, maybe the new efan drained the battery fast enough)

Check your email for the diagrams from the Factory shop manual you need. I sent you 3 more diagrams of the harnesses and their routing.

alright, looks like im thinking right and its the dash harness that burned, harness number 14401. what years are interchangeable here, being that car is an 89? will the 87/88 harness work for this? what about the 90-93? or is it like the engine harness where only another 89 will work?

The 14401 is the base number for the under dash harness. The prefix determines the year and model. I've seen the harness for a '91 (F1ZZ-14401-A ) listed at $350. I'm not sure what is all on the harness, but best bet would probably be an 87-89 harness. Later years are likely to have more incompatibilities.

ok, bringing this back from the dead:

im wondering what it would take to run, say, a 93 dash harness in my 89. i know the fuel pump relay is in different spots, right? what would i have to do to make my 89 computer harness compatible with a 93 (or even just any 90 up) dash harness? the more i dig into what i have, the less and less comfortable i am with just re-building what i have because of the damage, and finding another 89 specific harness is becoming a complete pita.

When I was going to do it, I gave up! I had everything from the headlights to the taillights, and between swapping harnesses, or implementing them. Save yourself the trouble and try to find a junker with similar or extra options as your harness (such as indicator lights in the dash, fog lights, anything) It's hard and a pain in the butt to find a good match, but it's good to get a harness with extra options rather than less than your current harness.