Wiring Problem: Shaker 500

geekoid

Aug 16, 2008
I though this would be easy since I installed many stereos before. I even bought the CrutchField 70-5521 wiring adaptor.

My wiring in the '08 GT-500 seems to have different wiring configuration, I can't seem to locate the ACC+, The pin outs seem to be good for everything except the ILL+ and ACC+. I volt metered pin 2 where it was suppose to be and no wire runs to the pin. There is one other wire on pin 15 but it doesn't test as ACC+. Even the article I found on the radio harness listed all the colors, the BAT+ and GND- had different colors, the speaker wire colors matched. I have a mid year model Stang so they might have changed the wiring... weird but who knows.

The shaker is 8RT-18C815 which is listed as Delphi's 2008 Shaker 500 model number.

Anyone have advice? The shaker 500 works if I put it back in so I might just test all the pins until I find the ACC+

• Sponsors (?)

The adaptors I purchased from Crutchfield worked fine for power.. For illumination, however, I ran a wire over to the headlight switch. I've read online a few times that you cannot get illumination from the radio harness- you need to connect to a dash light or the headlight switch.

The adaptors I purchased from Crutchfield worked fine for power.. For illumination, however, I ran a wire over to the headlight switch. I've read online a few times that you cannot get illumination from the radio harness- you need to connect to a dash light or the headlight switch.

I talked with tech support at Crutchfield, they are totally confused. I got my hands on a shop manual so it clarified some of it. It turns out that at somepoint they changed how the wiring harness is setup for the speed control and the new Shaker500 work, which btw are made by Delphi. It sends pulses for vehicle start, illumination and vehicle speed on one of the wires. The Head Unit reads those and always uses the BAT+ but switchs power internally. One of the features of the car is that the radio and the windows function until one of the doors open. A pulse is sent again to shutdown the radio when a door is opened.

I had to tap off the environment controls power which goes on with accessory power so I got it working but it isn't perfect. The environment is off when cranking so I will have to find another power source, I might have to use a fuse tap and run something to the fuse box instead.

If I can find the timing specs I was thinking of using a relay to make it work with the pulses, sounds like too much work. Does anyone know of a harness that understands the pulses?

+1 - I've read that the signal going to the Shaker (from the SJB) isn't strong enough for an aftermarket unit to pickup, so you have to tap an outside source. I used a wire from the message center buttons and it worked fine.

I found the solution. Apparently even some of the installers don't know this information. Apparently some 2005+ use a data bus called MSCAN that sends the vehicle speed, back up mode, parking brake, RAP support for operation after the key is removed, Steering wheel controls, ect... on a databus. Hence there is no ACC+ wire from Ford Harness. Good news there is a product that helps.

The product is "FORDAH" made by Peripheral.

http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/periph_products/Instructions/fordah_instructions.pdf