Wiring Question (KwikWire)

I am installing a KwikWire universal harness in my 67 coupe and I am curious about the fuel gauge. I have read that the gauges run on 5 volts and that 12-14 volts will destroy them. I am pretty sure the fuel sending wire in my new harness supplies 12 volts to the gauge. (i have not hooked power to the new harness yet) Should I try to reduce the voltage to the fuel gauge?

• Sponsors (?)

Doogie67,

Factory 65-66 gauges run at ~5v. Thats why the stock panel has a voltage regulator in your dash (don't get mixed up with the voltage regular for the alt. I believe it may be called something else, but the name eludes me right now). But not sure about your 67. Check your factory wiring diagram to see if there is a voltage regulator in your dash.

Which kwik wire kit did you get? How is the quality of the kit? I'm thinking of going with one for my restomod.

Nate

I bought the Ford Universal harness. I am very pleased with the quality. It is very time consuming. If I had to do it again I would get the American Autowire kit. I just checked it with a power supply and it does have to be 5 volts. I also have a 3G type alternator and does anyone know if I need the 560 ohm resister if I am running a volt meter gauge? I also have a exciter wire. Does that go in place of the ignition switch wire on the alt?