Wish I had known....(magnaflow)

allcarfan

The Answer Man
Founding Member
Apr 8, 2001
North Atlanta
This may have been posted here already, if it has, here is my additional info with regards to the maggy system.

Last night we met up with our local club. While my wife and I were inside a restaurant, I was going to have the guys swap out her axle-back exhaust system without her knowing it...as a surprise.... persay. Well, first of all, she wanted to eat OUTSIDE in plain site of the car. I had to bribe one of my friends to take her for ice cream to get her out of there...haha.

Ok, onto tech..

We were going to replace the stock system with a magnaflow axle-back system. Prt no 15882. (this is on an 06 gt). What did we find? First of all, the damn exhaust clamps are welded on on an 06. Dont know if they are like that on an 05. I was told that they werent. So, we had to make a trip to the parts store for new clamps. We then go to put the system on.....passenger's side will NOT fit without modification. Apparently the little 'dowels' as I call them on the stock pipes dont line up with the notches on the magnaflow system. A whole new notch has to be cut on the maggy in order for the pipe to go on correctly.

Mind you...we have some basic hand tools, no saws, no cutting tools, etc. FORTUNATELY, the system went on. However, one tail pipe sticks out the back about 3/4" more than the other...definetly noticeable.

Looks like I have some notching to do this weekend.

Oh yeah...the wife loved the exhaust. it is a hair louder than stock. Barely noticeable, but....noticeable.

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry to here that. I installed a Magnaflow on mine back in late '04 and it was the nicest fitting system I've ever done. I went ahead and put JBA longtubes with their catted H-pipe and still had no problems adapting that stuff with the Magnaflow.

allcarfan said:
The 06's must be a little different. a buddy of mine just put the same kit on his 05 and it fit like a glove!

I have a 05 and I also had to notch the axle-back too. The clamps on the stocked pipe will break free from the pipe. I also had to loosen the mid pipe clamps to adjust the axle-backs to get them even. I invested in a set of Magnaflow free-flow cats W/X-pipe they really make the axle -backs sound good. The exhaust clamps are also welded on the 05's to.

RIC...good info.

My buddy's 05's clamps werent welded and he didnt have these notches on his. (his car was on a lift and we bolted this 15882 kit to it before mind to make sure it all fit well). This isnt a BIG issue.....just "one of those things."

06 here, welded clamps with the notches. I have the MAC axle back exhaust, which came with cheap clamps (IMO), I broke one of them. The left pipe doesn't line up in the center of the cut-out either (someone on the board gave me a fix, and I'm going to try it this weekend). If it's not one thing, it's another right?

:cheers:

You must have got your hands on a really old kit. I too had the same probem over a year ago on my 05. Luckily I live local to Magnaflow and I was able to drive there to swap out the kit.

Here is an excerpt from my install page

http://www.2mfffabshop.com/axlbck.htm

***Note - Ford changed something in the design of the exhaust in mid production. As you can imagine this caused nightmares for exhaust companies. The axleback set I purchased was an early version and did not match up to my car. First thing you want to do when you receive your Magnaflow axlebacks (I don't know how other companies have addressed the issue) is check that the connecting pipe has 2 big notches in it, not just one. See pic below