With all this turbo talk... insight needed.

BurningRubber

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T04e...3QQihZ014QQcategoryZ33742QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MUST...1QQihZ012QQcategoryZ33742QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Do either one of those look like a good kit to start a semi-custom build off of? I know if has most of the important stuff, but its obviously missing a fuel pump, injectors, exhaust manifold (I have an idea with this), boost controller and stuff...

But, for the price and parts included does it seem ok to start? Here is my idea so far...

Is it possible to take the stock exhaust manifold and flip it (like the drivers side, flipping it reverse so it comes into the engine bay), and run pipe from the flange of the stock manifold to a turbo flange and the turbo sitting between the acceccory drive and radiator in the engine bay? There is someone else doing a build like this, and it seems pretty feesable.

So if I learned how to weld (know several people that are great at it) how hard would it be to set this up? Would a Focus pump and correct sized injectors suffice for fuel needs? What about the MAF? If I was running lower boost (5-7lbs for example) would the stock MAF work, and what kind of tuning would I need?

Give me all the insight you guys can on this. Tell me if it would be a good start, bad idea... I think it would be a great project/learning experience.

• Sponsors (?)

Those kits have knock off brand turbo's also sold by a place called SS auto chrome. The are NOT ballanced. They will die in minutes. They also use non standard size bearings and shafts, so rebuilding them is impossible. You will spend $600 for a t-70 turbo. (proper size for 4.6)

Remember you get what you pay for..... You will spend an easy $2.5K in parts for a turbo kit. if you dont have supporting fuel and intake mods already, Thats another grand. If you dont have a decent background in welding, or dont have a friend that can do it, you are SOL. Having a shop do the welding will cost a lot, and there will be several trial and error situations.

Tha manifolds can flip, but hit the water outlet on the driver side. They also point up very far. Turning them around will not work. You will need an after market K member for clearance....

It sounds like your car is prettymuch stock.
You should do the following BEFORE thinking about a turbo

fuel pump
injectors
bigger MAF if you plan to go over 400rwhp
K member with coilovers
prothane motor mounts or solid aluminum ones
a chip that can be tuned by a local shop. (not a handheld tuner)
Higher stall converter if auto, if manual get a clutch that can take the power you plan to make.

Ok, so that should be about $3-$4K depending on what you get and who you pay to install it. Now you can think about a turbo. I would HIGHLY suggest AGAINST doing this if it is your first time dealing with turbochargers. If you DO plan to do it, please ask LOTS of questions before buying ANYTHING!, and if its a good deal, its probably crap. 99% of turbo stuff on Ebay is ****.

You will easily sink 10 grand converting a stock car to a turbo car.... even then you are limited to roughly 450RWHP. The stock block will hold that, but not for long. I got a year and a half out of mine. Tires will last a month, you will start breaking stuff. All the little things catch up to you in the end...
Why dont you want a SC?
You can slap a centuri on your car as it sits in one day and have 400+rwhp for $1500 if you get a used kit.

Damn that got shot down fast!!! lol.

Well, I really have a soft spot for turbo's. My brother has built a few turbo cars and after riding in them I am hooked.

I would have no reason not to go S/C, and I am probaly better off looking for a used kit.

As far as wanting to do the turbo and doing it myself, it would just be for a project/self satisfaction thing. Plus there is nothing like hearing it spool up and feeling the boost coming on...:hail2:

That is dissapointing that those turbos are such crap quality though. I kind of figured it had to be too good to be true, but figured it was worth a shot.