With coilover setups, why not relocate the LCA too?

a stock M-II spindle won't work well at all if it were flipped around for rear steer, but the wilwood would work ok, but still not optimal because it was designed for primarily front steer applications but that is one of the reasons wilwood uses the bolt on steering arms, so it can be used in rear steer applications. you might contact someone at wilwood and get their input on using that spindle in a rear steer car. the info i got on it i got from www.corner-carvers.com.

looks like a fun project you have there. check the link in my sig for my 69 GT coupe and my 69 cougar project. the stang is for sale currently if you know anyone looking for a nice already done mustang.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks!
Yeah your GT looks sweet, did you have more pics of the cougar or was it just that one? what are your plans for it?
I myself am aiming at the trans am look for my '69 :p

The wilwood spindle, how's the height on that one, from upper to lower balljoint compared to an early spindle, you know if its shorter?

I don't know about the front steer vs rear steer problem either, I myself would like to know about swapping from left to right. But I have another spindle idea. What about using an SN95 spindle, with this: https://factoryfiveparts.com/product.php?productid=16281&cat=255&page=1 , it will turn it into a regular spindle. I figure with the ability to go with a Shelby drop, plus this adapter has 2 height adjustments, you should be able to get to a good length. Just have that front vs rear steer issue to figure out, is it a big deal to sway the spindles? Does anyone know how this would affect the ackerman angle? Make it better or worse? Plus as a bonus, with this idea, you have a much better brake setup, with the ability to upgrade much easier.

Thanks!
Yeah your GT looks sweet, did you have more pics of the cougar or was it just that one? what are your plans for it?
I myself am aiming at the trans am look for my '69 :p

The wilwood spindle, how's the height on that one, from upper to lower balljoint compared to an early spindle, you know if its shorter?

that's the only pic i have of the cougar right now. i had a bunch more of it in the gargage where it had been for the last 12 years when the PO, a friend of mine, started taking it apart and stripping paint for the restoration. he got an eye disease and started going blind and has had 3 cornea transplants to date and most likely will be needing another in the next year or two. anyway, the cougar had a layer of dust on it at least 1/4 thick and i had a bunch of pics but they accidentally got erased when i was trying to download them to the computer, this was right after i got my digital camera so i was unfamiliar with it at the time.

the cougar will be a pro-touring style buildup but with 15" wheels instead of 17" or larger, but all the mods are going to the hidden. it's going to have a TCP G-Bar rear suspension, either a TCP front coilover suspension or a custom Opentracker roller bearing front end with coilovers. it will also have overdrive either in the form of a vintage Hone-O-Drive system or a built AOD if the Hone deal falls through. engine will be a long rod 351w with aluminum heads, roller cam and eventually a holley Pro-Jection system. it'll have 12" front brakes and either a budget rear disc kit or a big 11x2.5" rear drum conversion. inside it will have a basically stock looking interior with 86 mustang GT buckets reupholstered to look stock, power windows and locks, tilt steering, rear defogger, intermittent wipers, overhead and floor consoles, real wood veneer trim to replace the original fake woodgrain, etc, etc. basically it'll have all the features of a newer lincoln or BMW type luxury car, but still look like a classic musclecar. paint will be acapulco blue with either a black or white painted top as well

ROB, thats the first time I've seen that adaptor bracket from factory 5. I'm really interested in that now. I wonder how a late model spindle would change the geometry of the suspension if you put it in a classic.

Could this modification be done without switching to a R&P setup ?

The main reason this one interests the hell out of me is that I was planning on doing ABS on my 67 and this would definately make the upgrade a piece of cake.

actually the spindles don't need to be flipped, Fatman makes a bolt on steering arm that they use in their strut conversion kits (note: not that weird new front clip setup) i'm sure they could be talked into selling just the steering arms if you ask nicely. i think maximum motorsports recently came out with a new drop spindle for the sn-95 or fox body cars too so that may be another option to look into

BTW, Rusty i was just reading one of my old hot rod mags and found a letter in one of the columns from a guy who had done a couple of ABS retrofits and he said it really wasn't worth the trouble it took to make it all work right. just something to consider on your ABS project.