WIX

geordie

Founding Member
May 10, 2002
Are WIX products new to the automotive world or have they recently hired a better PR company? Also how do they stack up against FRAM and the other big names?

• Sponsors (?)

fram is low quality, wix has been around and a much better filter. I have not have a fram fail, used them for a while (not anymore). several engine builders I know have seen frams lead to failure, and recommend wix or motorsport.

Buddy of mine had a fram pop on his new engine, sprayed oil all over the bay of his freshly painted 68. Ill stick with the US made Wix in all my cars.

Thanks guys, I was familiar with the opinion of the forum that FRAM was not a particulary good filter. I have used Mobil in the past but will consider WIX for future. WIX seem to have been promoting themselves at Barrett Jackson and Goodguys a lot more recently. until then I was unfamiliar witht he brand.

Fram is probably fine if you spend more money on their higher end products, but by then you've likely exceeded the cost of a WIX or Motorcraft. Why not just buy WIX or Motorcraft in the first place?

This is from a former parts person. There have been split open fiter displays at parts counters for years. I never was comfortable with the filters with paper at the end of the filter media. What glue might not melt and what cardboard holds up in hot oil??? Looking at the chart, Fram is not the only one. Delco has been another big name made that way. People with money to burn, ones who operated their trucks in harsh enviroments, and others who wanted to make the motor last the longest always insisted on WIX. People who changed their own oil every 2000 miles in their street car tended to be less picky about the filter.

Poppymod posted this previously, but this "study" is worth a hard look (see http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html and the companion opinions article http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/opinions.html ) ..... this guy went to great lengths to tear down a large assorment of filter brands and get into the guts of each .... Wix is definitely on his short list .... seems Motocraft at times is made by Purolator (that's what I have always used) .... enjoy the read of both articles ..... also, if you surf back to the home page, there is a link to a motor oil study .... fwiw .... -- 67GTFB