Wondering if K&N is worth it?

JimboJonesShow

Jun 18, 2005
I heard from the SVT dealership here in las vegas that the K and N air filter is not good for the cobra because the air filter has oil particles that seep into the threads of the air sensors in the cobra. These sensors for the air flow on the new stock air intake systems will dry up after oil has been exposed to them and the hot summer heat eventually contributes to the problem and makes these air sensors hard. Therefore the cobra stock intake cannot tell how much air to regulate. Do you understand what i am saying.

This is a very convincing argument that the dealership gave me, and now I do not want to use the K &N or the Fram Air Hog. I want to use paper.

So my question is, that is this true? or is the dealership pulling a fast one, cause this is a convincing argument.

Please respond

Jimbo Jones Show
3rd cobra------2004 Mystichrome 26,000 miles, no repairs yet,
Borla Cat Back Exhaust System
Castrol Syntec Oil Only Synthetic 5W-20

• Sponsors (?)

Your dealers concerns are a little misguided. They didn't tell you some BS story about the K&N filter voiding your warranty did they?

Yes there have been problems with the MAF electronics on some cars that utilize an oiled type gauze filter (such as the K&N). These problems were always caused by the owner though, not by the filter itself. The gauze type oiled filters are designed to be reusable and people don't follow the directions correctly when cleaning and re-oiling the filter. They end up applying way too much oil on the gauze after its been cleaned. This extra oil eventually gets sucked into the MAF and it coats the MAF sensor which can cause it to send erroneous signals to the ECM.

There is nothing wrong with using a K&N on your car, just make sure you service it correctly when the time comes. Brand new out of the box K&N filters are factory oiled. Many people just throw them away and replace them versus re-oiling and re-using them when they get dirty.

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
There is nothing wrong with using a K&N on your car, just make sure you service it correctly when the time comes. Brand new out of the box K&N filters are factory oiled. Many people just throw them away and replace them versus re-oiling and re-using them when they get dirty.

U.M.
Yeh for $40-50, I think I will just buy a new one once I've put about 25k miles on mine. K&N claims it's good for up to 50k before needing cleaned, but I think it depends on where you live. If in west Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, etc., I'd say sooner.