won't start after accident

app1nag

Mar 2, 2004
Hello to everyone. I am new to this forum and am looking for some technical help with a problem I am having with my 99 GT. My son decided one day to take the car without my permission. He skidded on some black ice and hit a pole. The air bags deployed but the car kept running and he was able to drive it home. Once he shut it off I could not start it again. I have full power to lights, horn, radio, etc. I checked the fuel reset in the trunk but it never popped. The car does not crank, period! Could it have something to do with the air bags deploying? Is there an air bag reset? I have since pulled the deflated bags out of the car. I am still wondering why the air bags deployed in the first place. He was going slow, making a left turn, when he hit the ice. The impact was at the point where the fender meets the door, on the driver's side. In fact the door is not even damaged. I pulled the fender off and it looks like all I have to do is replace it. No damage to hood or door, only the fender. Now if I could only get the car started...!!!

Attachments

• 7bda.jpg
    7bda.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 541
  • Sponsors (?)

Your dent is almost precisely at the location where the start interlock relay is mounted (along with several other relays in a module). So my first though is that something electrical has been jarred loose. I would carefully check the battery connections and remove and reseat the relays. I suppose it's a long shot, but not much effort.
Is this a manual or auto transmission? The auto has a more complicated start circuit (more things to go wrong) that includes contacts that close only in Park and Neutral.

Bought a salvage title 2 years ago, the airbags were not deployed. The car started fine until I removed them. Your car won't start without airbags. Do not try to start the car with new airbags after the last ones deployed. I know there is a module bolted on the transmission tunnel close to the shifter that must be replaced when they are deployed. Hope it helps :nice:

Check the electric fuel pump cutoff in the trunk; it's designed to shut off the fuel if the car is in an impact from the rear. On the driver's side in the rear of the trunk is a switch to push to reactivate the pump. I can're remember, you may have to peel the carpet back some.