Wont stay running

Pizzaman

Aug 7, 2003
Hi everyone,

I am curious what you would think my issue is before I start digging into the car tomorrow. This is a 2001 AUTO GT with very few mods (4.10 gears, K&N, basic tune with tuner) with 82k. The car will start fine rpm up and then die. Will continue to do this several times until I give it some gas. As soon as I let off the gas it will die even after driving a few minutes. After a few more minutes everything is fine (no more dieing). This is a randon event that happend a few times a week. I have changed the fuel filter, but it was 2 years ago.
Do you all believe this is likely a fuel problem?
Thanks all, have a great Thanksgiving!
Steve

• Sponsors (?)

Start first by cleaning the MAF. Next look for a vacuum leak between the MAF and TB. Change the PVC valve.

Check the battery and battery cables. Are they clean and tight?

Have you disconnected the battery recently? Remember it's normal to have a poor idle after a PCM reset.

Review for more information about trouble shooting IAC problems.

Is your mustang stumbling, dieing at idle or idling rough? - Page 14 - Ford Mustang Forums

Check the ignition.

Wm,

Thanks for the post. I followed along and found the problem to be the IAC. I replaced it with an Autozone unit and there is no more stalling and eratic idle. Now upon each start the car revs high (2200-2500) and then back down. I doubt this is right, is there an adjustment that I need to make after replacing the IAC?

Thanks.