Won't Take Gas

outlawjay

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
Atlanta
I have a 92' GT that is a completely stock with 97k on it. I took it on it's first long road trip after getting it and after pulling off to fill her up it only took 3 gallons of gas. That's after a 105 miles.

I've tried slowly filling it up, different pumps, different stations and it always just spits it back. I have owned it since Janurary and have only filled up 4 times in that time period. So, if this was an ongoing problem since I purchsed it I think it could have something to do with the "vapors." The vapors would have leaked all out in the time between fill ups. It could also be the fuel filler pipe but I haven't dropped a fuel tank before, so I was hoping somebody could help point me in the right direction.

• Sponsors (?)

Dropping the gas tank in a fox is easy. Disconnect the fuel pump harness. Unscrew the 8mm bolt from the filler neck strap to the tank. Then unscrew the 13mm bolt on the drivers side, the strap will swing down. Take the dowel pin out with a magnet that holds the strap in. Then do the same for the strap on passenger side. After that use some elbow grease and wiggle it off the filler neck.
After its off you can now inspect your tank and filler neck. If you have any questions on the instructions just PM me bro. Good luck.

Thanks! It looks a lot simpler to do than my dads was on his 1970, but once I get it down I won't be sure what im looking for or what I should replace or inspect since I have it down.

I have done the tank removal three times, and the main issues are getting the car up on jack stands and getting the gas out of the tank. DO NOT try to do this job without jack stands. Becoming a pancake is not part of the repair process.

Pumping out the old gas:
If the old pump still works, you can use it to pump the tank out.
1.) Separate the pressure line (the one with the Schrader valve on it) using the fuel line tools.
Look in the A/C repair section for the fuel line tools. They look like little plastic top hats. You will need the 1/2" & 5/8" ones. The hat shaped section goes on facing the large part of the coupling. Then you press hard on the brim until it forces the sleeve into the coupling and releases the spring. You may need someone to pull on the line while you press on the coupling.
LIS-37000.jpg

Use a piece of garden hose to run from the pressure line to your bucket or gas can. Make sure it is as leak proof as you can make it. Fire and explosion are not part of the repair process...

2.) Jumper the fuel pump test point to ground.

attachment.php

Turn the ignition switch to the Run position. the fuel pump will pump the tank almost dry unless the battery runs down first.

Some 5 gallon paint pails lined with garbage bags are good to hold the gas. The garbage bags provide a clean liner for the pails and keep the loose trash out of the gas so you can reuse it. If you decide to use a siphon, a piece of 1/2" garden hose stuck down the filler neck will siphon all but a gallon or so of the gas.

Remove the filler neck bolts and put them in a zip bag. Disconnect the supply & return lines by removing the plastic clips from the metal tubing. If you damage the clips, you can get new ones form the auto part store for just a few dollars. I have used tie-wraps, but that is not the best choice. Then you remove the two 9/16" nuts that hold the T bolts to the straps. Put the nuts in the zip bag with the filler bolts. Pull the plastic shield down and away from the tank. Once the tank drops a little bit you can disconnect the wiring for the pump & fuel quantity sender.

The tank to filler pipe seal is a large rubber grommet. Inspect it for hardening, tears and damage. At $20 from the Ford dealer, it might be a good idea to replace it.

I used a floor jack to help lift the tank back in place. You may find that it is the only time you really can make good use of a helper.

If you have access to a transmission jack, you can remove/install the tank with fuel in it.
If not, then take their advice and remove the fuel.

The fuel fill tube has a divider that sections off 1/3 of the tube for the purpose of venting air while the other 2/3 of the tube accepts the fuel. If the top 1/3 is blocked, if the partition is missing damaged, or if the vent hole for the top 1/3 of the tube is clogged, then it is almost impossible to fill the tank because the air cannot vent as the fuel is pumped in.

Dropping the gas tank in a fox is easy. Disconnect the fuel pump harness. Unscrew the 8mm bolt from the filler neck strap to the tank. Then unscrew the 13mm bolt on the drivers side, the strap will swing down. Take the dowel pin out with a magnet that holds the strap in. Then do the same for the strap on passenger side. After that use some elbow grease and wiggle it off the filler neck.
After its off you can now inspect your tank and filler neck. If you have any questions on the instructions just PM me bro. Good luck.

this makes it sound even harder then what it really is. lift the rear end, remove the two strap bolts wall holding the tank up with your knee and wiggle and drop the wiring is long enough to goto the gorund w/o breaking. motor cycle jacks work great for dropping these out as well. $60 bucks at harbor frieght

I do this all the time at work. Sometimes with a full tank of gas. I ahve never used a jack wil tqking it down. You guys are over complicating things. To put back i drain it out. How the hell does that make it sound harder. I told you what sockets you will need and everything. If youyou do itI the watsame i saidcouldnt to youthe wobt beed a jack64 and youa wont getstart gas allstation over you. Thats whymy i saidhave drop theteddy drivers sideside first. I would really hate to see some of you guys work on cars. Geez!

Dude you just said for him to do exactly what i was saying. Except i gave more details then you did. How many tanks have you actually dropped before. I have sropped hundreds of theses things. And, thats not exaggerating in the least bit either.

I do this all the time at work. Sometimes with a full tank of gas. I ahve never used a jack wil tqking it down. You guys are over complicating things. To put back i drain it out. How the hell does that make it sound harder. I told you what sockets you will need and everything. If youyou do itI the watsame i saidcouldnt to youthe wobt beed a jack64 and youa wont getstart gas allstation over you. Thats whymy i saidhave drop theteddy drivers sideside first. I would really hate to see some of you guys work on cars. Geez!
Watch out who you are being critical of...
At age 66, I have been working on cars for longer than you have been around . It's been 48 years since I started doing it and doing it well. I spent the 3 years after high school doing it part time for auto repair shops and a dealership. I have been driving and fixing 5.0 Mustangs for 20+ years, so I have become very familiar with the right way and wrong way to work on them.

The guy just repaeted what you and i both told the op. Plus we gave way more detail on how to do it. Then he said it makes it sound more complicated! Really come on. If the op would do what we said he would find out for himself. And as far years of experience thats cool and all but NO ONE is perfect. People and techs still make mistakes and are always learning new things. And everyone has there own method on how to do things while following procedures. And to think you cant learn something new because you have been there and done that or have more years of experience is joke. I have freinds that are techs and have been doing stuff just as long as you and they say they learn new things and different ways to do things all the time.