woo hoo.....now im having electrical problems...i love my car.

Green 94 5.0

Founding Member
Mar 25, 2002
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
well, just to give a little background, i ran my harnesses through the drivers side fender to clean up the engine bay. i am still waiting on replacement screws to put the fender wells back in. being that it has been over a year since i have driven the car, i wanted to take it out. i zip tied all the harnesses way up in the fenders and took it around the block. everything seemed ok. while i was changing the front springs and shocks yesterday, i noticed the zip ties had broken and the harness was rubbing on the tire. it had work through and exposed bare wire in a few spots. i taped everything that was bare and re zip tied everything back up. when i went to start the car after the suspension was done, i turn the key and get nothing. it is like the battery is completely disconnected. no lights, no horn, no clicking.....completely dead. i checked the battery for voltage and i am getting 11.56 volts at the battery while it is disconnected. when the battery is connected, the voltage does not change which leads me to believe there is no short on that cable at least since the voltage stays rock solid when it is connected rather than dropping. i have checked all the high voltage and low voltage fuses and none of them are popped. i have gone over all of the harnesses and wiring several times but cannot find anything wrong. does anyone have any ideas? i dont have full coverage on the car but i am about to find a canal just for the sheer pleasure of watching it sink. nevermind, that wont work, i have no way of getting it there.....:bang:

• Sponsors (?)

eh, I know what you're saying....when my alternator caught fire I almost wanted to sit there and watch it burn.....but I grabbed the fire extinguisher.

Now I'm having an oil leak from hell....and am thinking that I shouldn't have had that fire extinguisher......not really, but you know what I'm saying.

Did you check to make sure the harness was plugged in everywhere?

11.56 volts is severely discharged. Start charging it up so you can see what's really going on.

If the underhood fusebox was part of the items that were relocated, that's a place to start. The PDC connection is arguably the most important in the car.

Double check any ground connections you relocated or disturbed.

Otherwise, man, there ain't a lot I'd be able to come up with out of the blue.
Good luck with it!

eh, I know what you're saying....when my alternator caught fire I almost wanted to sit there and watch it burn.....but I grabbed the fire extinguisher.

Now I'm having an oil leak from hell....and am thinking that I shouldn't have had that fire extinguisher......not really, but you know what I'm saying.

Did you check to make sure the harness was plugged in everywhere?
everything is plugged in securely and all fuses are good.

11.56 volts is severely discharged. Start charging it up so you can see what's really going on.

If the underhood fusebox was part of the items that were relocated, that's a place to start. The PDC connection is arguably the most important in the car.

Double check any ground connections you relocated or disturbed.

Otherwise, man, there ain't a lot I'd be able to come up with out of the blue.
Good luck with it!
even though 11.56 volts is low, i should still get something. it is as if the battery is completely disconnected. i have been over everything thouroughly and nothing in that area seems out of place. i am resecuring several groulds even though i dont think it is going to help. does anyone else have any ideas.

No more ideas from me, other than to add that if you have individual jumper cables (where the positive and neg cables and leads are not siamesed), they work well for checking existing cables. I run the jumper in parallel with an existing cable - If something magically comes to life, I know I just found an OEM cable that's deficient.

Good luck.

"i taped everything that was bare and re zip tied everything back up."

Maybe in a few spots the wire was rubbed too thin. Could the tire have YANKED on the harness and pulled wire from one direction or someting?

I would see if the ignition switch is getting power, and once the key is turned, does the ignition switch pass power through.

Another way to test the switch is see if the ignition fuse has power (on both sides) when you turn the key on. If it doesn't, try running a quick jumper wire to the ignition fuse and everything should light up. Then you need to do my first suggestion and check for power at the ig. switch and out of the ig. switch.
Scott