wooden intake spacer! good idea!

• Sponsors (?)

I just figure high heat cycles with the moisture issues that come with that (condensation, then rapid drying out) would cause the wood to crack and split.

I'm just guessing though. It would be interesting if it worked.

The spacer isnt wood. It is what all most all spacers are made out of. Some sort of poly laminate. My GT-40 space looked the same from an edge veiw. Why would anyone make they're own when you can buy them for less than 50 bucks with bolts and new gaskets. Not only that but, wood expands and contacts with temp. and humidity. I doubt that it would ever seal right.

what if the spacer is made of wood, you slap it on and torque it down, the heat and miscellaneous gunk that lives on and inside an engine gradually penetrate the wood, then it gets porous or brittle, then the wood CRACKS and you get chunks of wood falling down into the intake tract of your engine??? i imagine that is why they use phenolic material, because it is so dense and will not crack when exposed to gasoline, pertol products etc. if i had to choose between a wooden spacer and no spacer, i would go with no spacer.

Foxfan88 said:
i if it fails lol, i just lose a piece of wood and a couple hours of time. no biggie

Or a peice of wood gets sucked into the engine and you lose the engine.

Wooden engine parts are bad m'kay.

Look on ebay. I think i bought a 1/2" phenolic spacer for my Cobra intake for $12

what if i were to coat the wooden spacer with some fiberglas resin or something. To where the wood would never be exposed to anything...

i mean we build houses with wood, and they stand for YEARS, if wood is so bad lets build all our houses with aluminum or cast iron.... i dont see how a wooden intake spacer would be too far off the spectrum, it will be exposed to alot, but so is a wooden house and it gets alot more abuse.

i would rather try it, bc obviosly it hasnt been tried enough and documented the results on it.