working EGR = HP?

rockin_rick

Oct 9, 2003
I know a lot of people remove this and it doesn't really cause any problems, but is it really better to have one working? It's my understanding that a working EGR does 2 things (at least):

1) reduce NOX emmisions.
2) reduce combustion chamber temperatures

Now, most everyone could care less about #1, but #2 seems to be a good idea. Wouldn't a cooler combustion chamber produce more power? Wouldn't this also help with overall engine cooling since almost all the heat produced by the engine is from the combustion chamber? Wouldn't this also help with engine (or head, valve) life?

Rick

• Sponsors (?)

I yanked mine as well, i have no cooling problems with my stock raid and a 180 degree stat. I have my fans come on at 175, and it stays real cool according to my stock temp gauge, i have a autometer one coming to see what it really is.

I have read that it will increase ur gas mileage at part throttle. So theres a # of reasons to keep it. But once you start dealing with tall VC's and intake spacers (like i have) its not worth the trouble to make the stupid thing work. I yanked it and havent looked back.

I don't have one, since it was already gone when I got the car. I am building a new engine with new AFR165's and was wondering if it was worth using. I don't actually believe that it would effect total engine temps at all, but reducing temps on my new (expensive) AFR's got me thinking. AND, there doesn't really seem to be any performance reasons to ditch it.

I checked the cost of a new one at Ford the other day and they want about $180.00 - $190.00 for just the valve - no sensor, no tube. Ouch. Haven't seen one on ebay or in catalogs. Does anyone know where I can get one resonably priced? Should I just not bother?

Thanks,
Rick

i would not bother, i might have mine still laying around in the garage somewhere if you want it. Pm with an offer if ur dead set on using it. Just make sure your not gonna need an intake spacer for larger vc's to clear rockers. Cause then u need to custom make a tube to go from the valve to the header.

How would it reduce combustion chamber temps? If the idea behind the Exhaust Gas Recirculator is to burn unburned fuel in the exhaust wouldn't that actually lean out the mixture by introducing more air? If that were true, then it would run hotter, due to the leaner mixture. Just curious.

Jon

When my mechanic put 1 5/8 MAC LTs 2 months ago he broke EGR tupe , so he plug little tube on passenger header and little tube on EGR , but next day unplag that little tube on EGR and leave open for no reason :shrug:

I don't think that the purpose of the EGR is to burn extra fuel in the exhaust. They wouldnt make it only on one side of the exhaust if that was true. I'm pretty sure that since it recirculates the already burnt(inert) gases into the combustion chamber, it takes the spot instead of air and actually richens up the fuel mixture a little. This only happens when you're not at WOT though so performance is not hurt.

Here's a webpage I found regarding this subject.

http://www.kemparts.com/TechTalk/tt12.asp

The page says that it cools the combustion but also reduces the power that the cylinders produce. It only flows when the engine is not cold, not idleing, and not during high power demands. So it seems that overall HP is slightly reduced, but not at WOT when it really matters. But then again, it's not helping then either.

I think that I will just not bother putting one on. I suppose that if I had one and it was on the car, I probably wouldn't bother taking it off, either.

Rick