Interior and Upholstery Working Seat Belts

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Something that has concerned me lately. My seatbelts don't seem to lock. If I grab and pull quickly, they lock maybe every 5-6 pulls. But for the most part a quick yank does nothing.

Anyone else's like this? I don't know any other way to test them other than the obvious.

Kinda concerns me as I want functioning belts for me and my passenger.

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

• Sponsors (?)

Aren't they centrifugally locked (I think that's what it's called, but I've been drinking)? Meaning when you hit the brakes (or a tree), they'll lock up? Those will pull out fairly easily even when you try to force the lock with a quick pull.

Mine do the same thing. After a while, they actually start dropping a little until I pull on them to tighten up again. It used to concern me a lot but I slammed on my brakes a few times at some point to test them and they locked each and every time. I'm still not sure if they are supposed to be like this but I feel a little bit more secure now. I do want to get a new set of seatbelts at some point to eliminate the slack I keep getting. I've always wondered if this problem is common or not so I'm interested in everyone's experience here.

Fwiw, I looked at both of my seatbelt retractors and aside from a little gunk in the passenger side one, I didn't see anything obvious that indicated it wasn't working properly. I didn't take the assembly apart though.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Guess i'll have to wait on road testing them. In the meantime, hopped in my Taurus this AM and yanked on the belt a few time very lightly and it easily locked every time.

Now granted I don't have any other 30+ year old cars sitting around to go test out, but I think the newer belts do work differently.

Just trying to see if I should look into replacing/repairing them, or if they are ok. I found a few seatbelt repair shops, but none will do older than 1996 or so.

The front seatbelt adjusters on my 89 lock when you hit the brakes hard. That is by design; there is a swinging gizmo that locks the motion of the reel on sudden changes in velocity. It's the same design as used in airplanes built before 1940; it's called an inertia lock.

seatbelt-rocker.gif

Reactions: 1 users
The front seatbelt adjusters on my 89 lock when you hit the brakes hard. That is by design; there is a swinging gizmo that locks the motion of the reel on sudden changes in velocity. It's the same design as used in airplanes built before 1940; it's called an inertia lock.

seatbelt-rocker.gif
Inertia lock! That's the right words.

My dog chewed the driver's side belt, so I believe I will also have to deal with the seat belt replacement. Anyways it was already old. I am looking at a universal seat belt and believe it is a good way out, anyways all the hardware is fine.