Worlds Largest Car Cruise...Woodward!

D-SLO

Jun 22, 2004
Ohio
So... anybody planning to go to the Woodward Dream Cruise in Detroit on Saturday August 16th? I read that they had 40,000 cars show up last year! Has anybody heard what FORD is gonna have on display? For those of you that have never heard about it before, check it out at www.woodwarddreamcruise.com :cool:

• Sponsors (?)

I have gone since 1999. I go to Mustang Alley on 9 Mile Rd. This year though, their rules are stupid. You always had to register, but this year, it's not first come, first serve. They are going to email you a time you are allowed to come, depending on the year of your car. They also said that they are not going to be able to let car clubs stay together!!! Motor City Terminators set this all up, and I think the rules are going to keep some people away. My car is an 81, so they better not send me an email telling me to be there at 5am or something. There usually isn't anything older there, so I know I'll be first.....OH....and they will NOT let anyone leave until 6pm!! Yeah...okay.....we'll see how people like that.

I have gone since 1999. I go to Mustang Alley on 9 Mile Rd. This year though, their rules are stupid. You always had to register, but this year, it's not first come, first serve. They are going to email you a time you are allowed to come, depending on the year of your car. They also said that they are not going to be able to let car clubs stay together!!! Motor City Terminators set this all up, and I think the rules are going to keep some people away. My car is an 81, so they better not send me an email telling me to be there at 5am or something. There usually isn't anything older there, so I know I'll be first.....OH....and they will NOT let anyone leave until 6pm!! Yeah...okay.....we'll see how people like that.

what is this? link? is it during the cruise?

what is this? link? is it during the cruise?

"There are changes in this years event versus what many of you have experienced in past years. We will try to accommodate Car Clubs as we have in the past, however, this is not guaranteed. Additionally, parking logistics will not be on a first come, first serve basis. Each of you will be provided an arrival time. We are doing this due to how we are setting up the street plan."

Read more here....

Woodward Dream Cruise / Mustang Alley

Honestly….the next time I make it to Woodward I think I’m staying away from mustang Alley. The problem I had was because it was the start of the cruise…you really didn’t get to see the abundance of different cars as you would farther down. Don’t get me wrong, I love mustangs…but once you’ve been to mustang alley you may find (like me) that it’s overwhelming. Really, how many different flavors of ice cream do you need to taste before you get a brain freeze!

The new format is just icing on the cake.

Well, I've been up to it a couple of times, but only a couple hours each time and unfortunately not with my Stang. Anybody know of any good spots other than Mustang Alley(which I will definately check out!) that are good to go to?

Honestly….the next time I make it to Woodward I think I’m staying away from mustang Alley. The problem I had was because it was the start of the cruise…you really didn’t get to see the abundance of different cars as you would farther down. Don’t get me wrong, I love mustangs…but once you’ve been to mustang alley you may find (like me) that it’s overwhelming. Really, how many different flavors of ice cream do you need to taste before you get a brain freeze!

The new format is just icing on the cake.

I agree, but I honestly don't know where else to park.

Well, I've been up to it a couple of times, but only a couple hours each time and unfortunately not with my Stang. Anybody know of any good spots other than Mustang Alley(which I will definately check out!) that are good to go to?

13 Mile and Woodward is the place to be!!! Right by the Walgreens, Firestone Tire intersection. You can easily walk to 11 Mile, and upto 16 Mile rd. That's the hot spot.

"There are changes in this years event versus what many of you have experienced in past years. We will try to accommodate Car Clubs as we have in the past, however, this is not guaranteed. Additionally, parking logistics will not be on a first come, first serve basis. Each of you will be provided an arrival time. We are doing this due to how we are setting up the street plan."

Read more here....

Woodward Dream Cruise / Mustang Alley

What happens if you want to park with friends? I usually come with two other friends and would like to stay together.

What happens if you want to park with friends? I usually come with two other friends and would like to stay together.

They are pretty much telling us too bad. Which makes me furious because I have been coming there since 2001, and have brought 7-8 people including myself that bring business to the local cities. My 7-8 friends is now down to me and my Dad...(two)

I know it's only 7 or 8 but they are in for a real surprise this year, I think. Why? Because right now there are only about 250 Mustang registered. The last 3 or 4 years at this time the capicity was full, (400-500 Mustangs) and there was a waiting list made. So that adds up to about half capicity vs. every other year.

I hope they have a really bad outcome from their new rules.

I swear, non-car people must be in the mix here somewhere. I can't believe that this rule can come to exist. I mean, usually when people go to an event, especially one of this size, they usually don't come alone. If multiple cars(friends) show up together, how hard can it be to park them all together...It's not like we're looking for a flippin' magic trick here! If they're even somewhat organized they should be parking cars as they come in anyway, otherwise it would be total chaos. I could however see the point of not allowing people to save spaces for other friends that have not arrived yet. This could put a bind in the organized parking process as the "friend" is driving all around looking for the other friends and blocking traffic flow.(just a thought, as I am not familiar with the Mustang Alley location)