Worlds most powerful engine!

I've been inside one of them when I worked on a Maersk container ship. We pulled on of the pistons along with the rod in India. Ours was a 10cyl with 3 turbos, same basic setup as the one in the picture. I might have pictures if anyone wants to see em.

• Sponsors (?)

I'll try to get a few of my pics up tomorrow, they're on my other hard drive. When that thing is cranking at 102 rpm it is incredibly loud, actually we wore hear protection anytime it was running, but it's still loud through them. It was fun working on an engine where you could walk inside any of the components. I went inside the crankcase, the cylinder, and the exhaust manifold. That picture is kind of small, but the tall pieces on each cylinder contain the exhaust valve. There is no intake valve, they use scavenging ports in the cylinders. I have a few pics of changing the exhaust valves too. I'm off to bed, I'll get the pics tomorrow. Later guys.

I put the pictures on my Yahoo pictures thing, but apparently it doesn't let you link the specific pictures.:notnice: I guess the next best thing I can do is give the link to my page: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kissfan15/my_photos Hopefully this will work, when it opens click on "At Sea". I put a few pics of the exhaust valve pull, the cylinder being honed, one of the diesel generators fuel injectors, the opened up crankcase, and one of us in the control room (although it's a little blurry). We were happy in that picture because we got the exhaust temps of each cylinder within a few degrees of each other by changing the exhaust valve of one and doing a little tweaking. I hope the link works. Later -Alex

wild86stang said:
I put the pictures on my Yahoo pictures thing, but apparently it doesn't let you link the specific pictures.:notnice: I guess the next best thing I can do is give the link to my page: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kissfan15/my_photos Hopefully this will work, when it opens click on "At Sea". I put a few pics of the exhaust valve pull, the cylinder being honed, one of the diesel generators fuel injectors, the opened up crankcase, and one of us in the control room (although it's a little blurry). We were happy in that picture because we got the exhaust temps of each cylinder within a few degrees of each other by changing the exhaust valve of one and doing a little tweaking. I hope the link works. Later -Alex

So how often do those shipping containers fall off into the sea when you're in a storm? They're stacked pretty high, lol.

The containers are secured pretty well, but obviously if a big enough force hits them they will topple over. The cool thing is that the majority of them are inside the ship so you don't see em. The fuel injectors are from the diesel generators, the ones for the main engine are even larger!