Would 24 LBS injectors be overkill?

LilBerx

Jan 11, 2012
Logan, UT
Just wondering if 24 lbs injectors would be overkill, I
Believe my stock injectors are taking a dump, and may as well upgrade than replace.
I found a brand new pro-M MAF calibrated for 24's with I injectors for $185... Which is a killer deal seeing how the MAF is $300+ alone.

Right now this is what I currently have

Bbk shorties, x pipe, and flows
Gt40 intake
Stock fox TB.
Fenderwell cold air intake
C&L 73MM MAF
Stock heads.

How much would these injectors affect fuel mileage?... And the pro-m MAF is tuneable.

• Sponsors (?)

Shouldn't effect fuel mileage at all. You'll just end up with a shorter injector duty cycle than what you had with the 19s. So long as the meter is spot on and the injectors are good, you won't notice a difference at all. There's not a huge difference between the 19 and 24s. Even if the meter is off just a little bit, it should be within the EEC's ability to compensate.

If it were me, i'd take the time to have those used 24's cleaned and flowed. There may even be a parts store near you that has an injector flow machine. Buying used injectors can be a crap shoot (so can buying new ones sometimes). You can end up chasing ghosts if there are one or more that aren't up to snuff.

Other than that, it looks like you got a good deal. Next stop would be to upgrade your TB and spacer then start looking for a set of heads. Some 160s would be sweet if you could find some in good shape.

I have been told on the forum here that your stock 19# system can run up to a 24# without issue or any other changes.
I don't know if it's true, but I am going to try.
They have also said that once you get to 300 hp, 24s are pretty much required from then on up.

My son is running 24s on a stock long block 5.0 (lots of bolt ons, but stock long block), and is using an SN95 MAF. All without issue. Car runs great. He got his from a 460 EFI in the u-pull.