Would chipping/flashing my ECU *really* benefit me?

MustangThief

Founding Member
Nov 7, 2001
Cleveland, Ohio
My mods on the car are located below... now logically I should be running lean because of all the air flow mods I've done... but I think my ECU has compensated because my gas mileage is worse than ever... someone told me that a chip would not only increase my gas mileage but would also lower my 1/4 times because of the exhaust mods... they said that I'm only getting half of the juice from my exhaust because i still have the stock ECU program...

I'm just wondering, if so this christmas i will definitely be chipping her... not only for the gas mileage but also for the speed increase (if any)

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

If you have the cash, why not try it? It probably won't HURT anything.. I wouldn't exactly assume it'll give you better gas mileage, but it may.

Especially with those long-tubes on there, I'd say you'll at the very least get SOMETHING out of it.

I would PERSONALLY get a dyno tune. And since your trapping 99, dont expect to trap 104 LOL. I added cams, few boltons, and dyno tune and gained almost 4MPH to 104. You should break 101 with a chip, MAYBE 102 with a dyno tune. Never expect too much from a single mod with these cars.
BTW I had 248RWHP also and was trapping mid 100s(about the same as you)...now im at 280ish and trap 104. General rule is 1MPH per 10RWHP gained.

Yep, thats the key...weather. Driving isnt a huge deal, as all it consists of is shiftpoints, launch, and shifting fast. Once you get that down and find the peak in the RPM range where it pulles the best, then your about done for trap wise unless you get some better weather.
And yea jacky lol, it seems so....but all you guys at lower alt trap better (florida :D). I know of some stockers that trap 101 with new drivers...but they run at lower altitude tracks and that happenes on good days.

I just hate getting people hopes up you know...and things that dont USUALLY happen arent worth telling IMO...very few actually have good times/trap at the track or actually do as good as they expect.

I don't know that I'd spend money on a dyno tune unless you're serious about sticking with the mods you have at the moment, but if you have the money, go for it!

Well the reason I have been waiting on the chip is because I've been wanting to get a supercharger. I just kept holding off on it and never ended up getting the chip/tune. I just felt like if I got the chip it would be wasted money when I got the supercharger since the tune would have to change.. hopefully this winter i'll get the s/c so i could tell them i have the exhaust mods and they could send me a tuned chip already for my mods + s/c... wouldn't life be so much easier then

Is a chip worth it?...I say hell yes.One you get to bump up the timing the proper way,(not like that steeda timing adjuster :notnice: ),two,if you got aftermarket gears,it corrects it,three,gets rid of that retarded hanging idle,four,way better throttle responce,five,if you have an off road mid pipe,you will not need MIL eliminators,it can be done threw the chip,and the fact you will get better gas miliage is just a bonus :nice: .You basically get everything you need in one.People buy the steeda timing adjuster to do timing,or get that plate to get rid of the hanging idle,and also buy the MIL eliminators for the off road mid pipe,right there on what you spent,you can probably buy a chip.
I know when i pulled my chip just before i got my cams done,you can really feel the difference,itfelt like shat compared to having the chip in.

And if you do a chip.....I say go for SCT,these guys do there work :nice: .

17.6 mpg average before tune
19.0 mpg after tune (aka Predator)

+1.4mpg = ~ 8% increase in gas milage

@ current gas prices the 8% milage boost has easily made the Predator pay for itself over the past year and a half since purchasing it.