Would love input. 68 and 69 Mustangs need a lot of TLC

Cargirl

Sep 27, 2007
Pittsburgh PA
I have a client that has a 68 candy apple red convertible with 35k miles on it. She also has a 69 2 door coupe - aqua I believe the color is. She has had both cars in storage for more years than she cares to admit. The red car was her parents car and her dad opted out of any frivolous amenities like a radio and an electric top. Apparently almost as soon as he acquired the car he suffered a stroke and should not have been driving. But he kept sneaking down to the garage and taking her out for a spin so the wife had the ignition removed. It's back in now but the car has not been driven since it went into storage so many years ago. The 69 coupe was my client's car. Her daily driver. Until her ex-husband drove it into the back of a bread truck. The damage has been repaired but the hood does not sit right and the driver door needs to be lifted to be closed. I have talked my client into keeping the 68. She is retired and she can build her entire retirement social life around that car. Taking it to local shows and cruises. So we are going to sell the 69 and keep the 68. And this is where we could use some help. The warehouse where the cars are kept has a stone floor and it's in Pittsburgh PA. Winter is coming and these cars need to be tended to before moisture gets to them. I should say more moisture. The 69 has a foul odor inside and mold on the seats. The chrome is gently pitted (can this be lightly sanded?) The engine of course has not been turned over in countless years in either car. We need to get the engines running in both cars. I have a very qualified mechanic that has agreed to work with me getting the cars up and running but Mustangs are not his forte. Would appreciate any info on great ways to combat mold, getting dirt and grime off the body without scratching it - what to look for when working on the engine. We are going to see the cars again tomorrow and I will post pictures of both so everyone can see what we are working with. I have to be honest. I'm kind of excited. The 68 is an especially exciting car. The paint is still in great condition and there is not any damage in the interior or bubbling of paint or rust - at least on the exterior. She would like to put a radio in the car and have an electric opener at some point. Well that's everything. Will post pictures tomorrow.

• Sponsors (?)

Wow, lots to do!

First off, the washing will be many steps, no powerwashing! Sponge, car wash, strong soap, keep at it until you get it back to the paint. Then a good compounding and waxing. Have a detailer do that with an orbital polisher. Sounds like it can come back pretty good. Same with chrome, use a good chrome polish, may take a few times.

Interiors - the mold is a problem, but there are many treatments available to kill it. I rep one company that has a fix, let me know. The usual washing with bleach or other chemicals may not work well if the seats are fabric. May work on vinyl. Headliner and top will need cleaning and then treatment. Canvas sucks mold and dirt in like a sponge, check with a GOOD camping store, since most older tents are made from canvas.

Drivelines - If the motors are not siezed, change all fluids. Do full tune ups, and change the ignitions to electronic conversion, Pertronix or otherwise, so they will be reliable. Re-pack wheel bearings, and go through the mechanicals as well.

Radio is easy. The power plug is in the harnes, you will have to get a radio bezel and speaker for the dash. Good opportunity to get a stereo conversion. Antenna will need to be added, why not opt for a power antenna in the trunk, so it's easier to put a cover on the car?

Souderton is in SE PA, I don't know of any parts places out by you, but there are many great on-line places. Search here for used parts as well, many members here will have extra parts.

Post for help, we have MANY smart Mustang folks here. I used to be a MCA 67-68 Judge, so know the cars pretty good. I had many 69's as well, so can offer assistance.

PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would WD 40 the cylinders down. Maybe unstick some stuck rings. Leave the plugs out, try to turn it over by hand first. How long has it been sitting? Damp floors are a killer for rust underneath the car. Sometimes being damp and inside is worse than sitting out side in the elements. Love to see those pics.