Would removing my K&N Air Charger improve my Mach's gas milage?

I asked a simular question in the Mach 1 forum but it is almost dead.

I got my '04 Mach 1 used (had 1,695 miles on it) and the previous owner had put a K&N Air Charger intake in it. I was wondering if I put the stock intake back in it if it would noticably improve the gas milage or not?

• Sponsors (?)

Unless there is something wrong I seriously doubt you will see an improvement. Are you seeing abnormally low mileage? Have you cleaned the K&N filter? Is it possible your MAF is contaminated with the oil from the filter? That would cause problems. You can clean the electrode in the MAF with electrical contact cleaner.

Ok guys, thanks the recommendations. I'll leave it in. The car is still young, maybe it will improve when it gets broken in some more. Plus, I don't know how long she was sitting before I came and picked her up. With less then 2,000 miles on her I don't think the previous owner drove her much.

Edit: I figured up the milage on it again today and she got 15.6 MPG. The original window sticker on her said she should get 18/24.

rjstaaf said:
Unless there is something wrong I seriously doubt you will see an improvement. Are you seeing abnormally low mileage? Have you cleaned the K&N filter? Is it possible your MAF is contaminated with the oil from the filter? That would cause problems. You can clean the electrode in the MAF with electrical contact cleaner.
Just the cost for a can of cleaner to try this. I’ll unplug mine and remove the whole meter from time to time and spray down the screen, contacts for the wiring harness, electrodes, whole damn thing and let it air out.

-Cale