would this work?

none67

Oct 19, 2003
Ok, so i want either 5 or 4 point harness for my 67 coupe. now i still want to use the rear seats, so i can't put a bar right across it. So i was thinking...

If i take like 2 inch square tube and weld it to the roof (and smooth it out so it looks good, put the cover back over it) and put a bracket on it so that i can bolt the harness into it. would that work? or do to the belts need to be almost level with the shoulders to hold you in right?

• Sponsors (?)

when you mount your shoulder harnesses, your gona want to mount the bar to something with some strength, roof is a bad example. I don't think theres any other way but to install the bar behind your front seats.

unless you are racing, you can run the belts as you have planned. otherwise a removeable crossbar as part of the roll cage would allow oyu to remove the shoulder belts to allow you to use the rear seats. by the way just welding a tube to the roof to mount the belts is not a good idea as the roof is not stressed to handle the load in the event of an accident.

why do you want 5-point RACING harnesses?? Sit down and think about it. You don't need them to drive to work, school, movies, dinner, etc. Yes, they look cool, but unless you are racing...there is no need for them. And if you are taking your date, wife, girlfriend, boyforend, mistress, etc, out somewhere, they will not want to wear a 5-point. Save yourself the headaches and just put in a shoulder restraint system.

hmm.. all very good points..

I want 4 or 5 harness becuase:
a) I like the way they look(although i am VERY VERY rarely the "looks only" kinda guy)
b) You should see how i drive, if you know what i mean
c) We all know how well the stock seats hold you in place...
d) i don't want the steering coloum through my chest if there was ever an accident.

one more idea.
What if i put a bar on the floor, and attched them to that and had them extending up the back of the seat over your shoulders, ect. bad idea? ( my knowledge of seat beats sucks.. sorry guys)

Also, what are my other options in doing this?

EDIT: oh yea 429FB, if they didn't want to wear it they could just use the lap belts i guess, not my problem :)

I have a 4pt roll abr with the cross brace and there is plenty of passenger room if you take out the cross brace, also if you dont want to wear the whole harness, just use the lap belts. If you get the cam lock harnesses you can just click in the shoulder straps, or if you endup with the latch type its not htat hard to strap in while at a stoplight.

If you have a passenger it is always your problem, you are responsible for that person's safety. Remember that at the law suit hearings.

But; check the seat belt laws in your state, if you are a manadatory seat belt state like Washington, it is against the law to not use ALL available seatbelts, so if you have a 5-point and don't have the submarine strap in place, you get a $110 ticket.

My point is this: think it all the way through before doing the mod. The roll cage is great, but if you want the back accessible is really the right choice. If you need 5-points up front, what about the people in the back seat??

I totaled a 65 coupe when I was in high school, I know how dangerous lap-only belts are, I had 12 facial stiches and broken arm to prove it. A 3-point would have done the job just fine.

well it will be a very rare chance that someone will be in the back seats so iw as planing on just using the stock lap belts.

I live in canada and the law is that ou must wear A seat belt. and thoughs who are over the age of 16 are on there own if not wearing a seat belt. But if the passenger is under, then it is the drivers responsabilty.

As for the seat belts in my car what are my other options in this? is getting a roll bar the ONLY choice i have? and should i even do this? i've always wanted them, and they would be a nice safty device.. what are your guys thoughts... i'm kinda "if-e" on it now..

You need to think where you want the car to be...cruiser/Saturday night street fighter or Pro-street/Pro-Stock. If you rarely have people in the back then put in a full cage and 5-points. But, if you want to take it places for a "Sunday drive" then leave the cage out, that is my $0.02.

I used to think like you are right now, and then I talked to an older friend who had a 10 second Pro-Street car...Big tires, 8 point cage, 5-point belts, etc, he hated it. IT was no fun to drive around town and even though he was mid-40s and not breaking any laws, he still got stopped all the time, because it looked fast. And his wife hated going anywhere in it (sometimes a blessing).

So if you do put in 5-point belts are you going to upgrade your seats? What about head and neck support/restraints?? Have you put in a fuel cell in case of fire, what about a mercury switch on your electric fuel pump in case you roll it.

If you are driving so fast that you need 5-point belts then you better start thinking about what else you need to be safe -OR- slow down.

In my car I still have stock belts. When I do my interior resto, I am going to go to shoulder belts and head rests or fullback seats so my head doesn't get ripped off in a crash.

So unless you are going to race it...

Not trying to make enemies, but I dont think this guy wants a lecture about his seat belt choice...Do you know any other ways, besides a full cage, to mount 5points? Cuase if you dont, I really dont think he cares about it...

none67 said:
one more idea.
What if i put a bar on the floor, and attched them to that and had them extending up the back of the seat over your shoulders, ect. bad idea? ( my knowledge of seat beats sucks.. sorry guys)

sure, you can do that as long as you dont mind severe back injuries in the event of an accident.

none67 said:
one more idea.

I haven't read past this, but I want to make sure this question has been addressed.

THIS IS A VERY BAD IDEA!

If you have a head-on collision, there is no restraint in the direction of the impulse, and so, the back of the seat is doing the work, and may well snap. This leads to you being pushed forward and lent over (because your top will move more than the bottom) which tightens the belts. Putting huge amounts of strain on a bent back will end up snapping it, yes I mean your back.

Put a rollbar in, with a removeable bar. Use the stock restraint system when carrying 2+ other people, and don't drive hard then. You'll strain the car more, it's a big effort for everyone inside, plus you're responsible for their lives, and all the extra weight is going to affect handling adversly anyway.

Sorry. I did not mean to lecture.

The right roll bar would be cool, look for a 4 point roll bar with a removable cross bar. Also why don't you think about a Shelby iniertia reel restraint system. I have seen them around at Branda and Mustangs+. Also make sure you get locking seat backs and head rests.

Always remember; it is your car you do what you want. That is how I make decisions about mine.

Good Luck.

you might want one of these.

attachment.php

thanks for all your help everyone.

and 429FB, i gotta say thanks for all the help and the time you spent helping. I gotta get me one of thoughs. i might end up using just lap belts untill i get new seats (nice racing seats i guess, something that will support my head and neck, and hold me in) then add the seat belts. truth is i drive my car everywhere(when theres no snow, hail ect.). i just drive it "like i stole it" when i feel like it (but i do it responsibly, i'm not going to go 120mph in rush hour traffic or anything) and i only do it when its only me or a passenger. so basicly its just a preformance car all the way around. and i do race.

hey, 429FB, i just read your sig, thats the handling package i'm thinking about buying, is it any good?