Would you go track or would you go street and why?

• Sponsors (?)

If I was you...

And all ready had a beautiful track car and a beautiful street car, I'd use this car as a base to build a true G.T. as in Gran Turismo in the full sense of the term. Not as in a "clone of a Mustang GT". That car looks like such a great place to start. What a fun project that would be!

Scott

I really dont see the benefit of having a track car,when you can build a dual purpose car,might not be as "good" as a track car,but when the feeling to go for a drive is there,theres no worrying about it.

Mine has surpased "street" right now,till i can figure out the "surging",doesnt make it fun in traffic, but sounds wicked as hell :)

I think it would be better suited as a street car. If it showed the usual wear of a 40 year old car and was missing alot of original parts, I would say track. If it was a boring 2v 289/C4 hardtop(like my '68) that wouldnt really be worth restoring, again track.

I had a non-GT(I think) '65 notch with factory disc brakes and a Toploader. It probably would have been worth restoring, rather than the GT350 notchback clone restomod it ended up as. Looked good though :D.

Is that a 3 speed?

With this car in such good shape, I kind of like the idea of doing dual duty. Perhaps not a daily driver but set up to do some serious street cruising and out of town fun trips. Also, with suspension and motor set up for some open track or hot lap events.

Anything set up for full race is extremely difficult to be used for street duty..................the cam is the single biggest problem. You can lay down a lot of horsepower on these things with the right cam set up but they become almost impossible to drive in traffic.

John could make this a very nice dual duty ride!

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

Thanks Historic... think I will do what you are suggesting. I am blessed to be able to work from home, so "daily driver" is not what it normally means.
I think I am going to work on the suspension first, no point in going fast if you cannot control it, right?
I see a lot of people installing lowering springs, but cutting them even shorter - is this a good idea?
Any other thoughts on the progression of this car? Not sure if it matters or not, but I already plan on installing a set of Cragar SS rims (14") with 245/60/14 (rear) and 205/60/14 (front) and a 4 speed toploader. Also, the rear end is an axle code "1" - I think that means 3.00 - if my research is correct, and assuming nothing has changed in 40 years. :) Thanks everyone for their opinions, and thanks, Historic for getting the thread started. I look forward to "working" with all of you - this seems like a great place to learn a lot. Cheers.
Hammer

Nice car.

Street or Track is up to you.

It is a great candidate for a Mustang II front suspension with rear coilovers.

Or maybe even an air ride suspension.

Why?

Because..

New suspension technology is the ONLY way to make these old Clunkers handle.

Wouldn’t people be racing these cars in classic racing series if the old suspension still worked?

(for people who lack the sense for sarcasm , THIS IS A JOKE)

Make it a cool street car.

HistoricMustang said:
With this car in such good shape, I kind of like the idea of doing dual duty. Perhaps not a daily driver but set up to do some serious street cruising and out of town fun trips. Also, with suspension and motor set up for some open track or hot lap events.

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

I agree with Historic - I think it's entirely possible to build a car that's well-behaved enough on the street to be enjoyable and still be very fast and an absolute blast on the track. Historic may not like this, but don't be afraid to dip into modern technology a bit to get there - electronic fuel injection, superchargers, sticky radial tires, aftermarket disk brakes, etc - those are all things that appear on modern cars that are there specifically to bridge that gap. Take advantage of it. That's exactly what I'm doing (and generally succeeding so far)... You can even do most of it without making a lot of permanent mods to the car in case you change your mind later (you won't). my .02.

The dual purpose idea sounds good but is it? Would you be willing to have the harsher ride on the street with an engine that may not be too easy to get along with? On the other hand would the streetable suspension and streetable engine be enough to win a race or keep you from wrecking while being competetive? I don't know because I've never had a dual purpose car. If you're willing to put up with the shortcomings both ways I'd say go for it. If it were mine I would keep it fairly stock. But then it isn't mine.

Detail the engine bay and you have a nice cruiser or show 'n shine car. Up here in B.C. old cars kept stock or with only safety upgrades that meet the criteria are elegible for collector plates, which makes your annual insurance fees about 30% what they would normally be so long as you have a primary vehicle insured as well.

BTW, I think the interior looks like a French brothel.

Is that a 3 speed? Yes - I hope to be dropping in a TopLoader soon

John could make this a very nice dual duty ride! Who is John?:shrug:

BTW, I think the interior looks like a French brothel. :rlaugh:

I have no problem with a harsh ride - within reason. I think danny and krash have the idea - can perform safely at the track (maybe even be competitive) and still be able to drive it to the golf course, etc. Now, just have to figure out what to do... without alienating my wife and going broke. :)