Would you trade-in for a C5 Corvette?

• Sponsors (?)

Not to add fuel to the fire because I love my '06 GT, but when the GT500 came out, didn't Car & Driver or Road & Track or Motor Trend or one of those car mags test it head to head against a C6 Corvette and the vette pretty much beat the GT500 in almost every category? Or am I mis-remembering that?:(

Last time I checked, the 7.0L Z06 motor was getting better gas mileage than the stock 4.6L Mustang GT engine. Pushrods FTMFW.

I'd argue that the better mileage is due to the 0.50 6th gear, and low drag corvette body. :) I've had friends get 30 mpg cruising at 75 in thier vettes.

Either way, I would seriously consider a vette, and the CTS-V if I wanted more seats.

Tom

Nope. My car looks better and is faster than one anyway. C5's are :notnice: C6's are the tits. :nice:

C5 Z06 is faster than the Z51-equipped C6 round a track though. No way does a Mustang look better. Different but not better. One looks like a muscle car, one looks like a supercar. It'll never overcome the fact that the Corvette is a lighter car either and the Top Gear track times tell the story - C6 1:26, Roush supercharged Mustang 1:28, GT500 1:30. A stock GT would be somehwere around 1:32-33 I'd guess. You can't overcome physics and a lower centre of gravity. :nono:

If I was looking for a good Corvette C5, I'd be looking for a 99 hardtop - the one that preceded the Z06 taking over that body style. :nice: It came as stock with the manual shifter and Z51 suspension before GM realised it needed a lot more power than the LS1 could offer and a little more weight shaved off (which the C5 Z06 achieved through the LS6, thinner glass, lightweight wheels and a titanium exhaust). Pretty radical concept, LOSING weight to gain more performance though :rlaugh:

C5 Z06 is faster than the Z51-equipped C6 round a track though. No way does a Mustang look better. Different but not better. One looks like a muscle car, one looks like a supercar. It'll never overcome the fact that the Corvette is a lighter car either and the Top Gear track times tell the story - C6 1:26, Roush supercharged Mustang 1:28, GT500 1:30. A stock GT would be somehwere around 1:32-33 I'd guess. You can't overcome physics and a lower centre of gravity. :nono:

If I was looking for a good Corvette C5, I'd be looking for a 99 hardtop - the one that preceded the Z06 taking over that body style. :nice: It came as stock with the manual shifter and Z51 suspension before GM realised it needed a lot more power than the LS1 could offer and a little more weight shaved off (which the C5 Z06 achieved through the LS6, thinner glass, lightweight wheels and a titanium exhaust). Pretty radical concept, LOSING weight to gain more performance though :rlaugh:

By stating my Mustang looks better is merely giving an opinion. That in no way can be proven fact. Opinion is opinion and I didnt think I'd have to put IMO because I think its dumb. I really dont want a C5...at all. They look old, they're not that great, and I wouldn't even bother if it doesnt have Z06 badges on the fender. But again, IMO the C6 is beautiful and I'd love to have one some day but the C5 isn't worth getting rid of my pony.

The Corvette does NOT look like a supercar :rlaugh: unless its the Z06. It looks like a 2 seater Chevy that every old rich dude, old rich dude's wife, or old rich dude's son has. They're just as much everywhere as a Mustang is. Now when I see a Viper on the streets (if ever) then I think "wow" but never with a Vette. But of course this is all.....opinion. However bias it may be.

for all of you vette-heads / how you could pass this up?

http://www.nationalcollectorsmint.com/product2.jsp?path=-1%7C6351&id=6345

19758_lg.jpg

I have had my 2005 Mustang GT for 2.5 years now. I use it for a pleasure only. The older C5 Corvettes (1997 - 2000) have come down to $20-25,000 in price. I feel myself being tempted by the dark side...:nonono:

I don't need the back seat. I like the fact that the Corvette Coupe has a removal roof. I like the look of the C5 over the C6 style. I like my Mustang but I still think about owning a Corvette.

How about some feedback ... :shrug:

I'll chime in now. It is up to you but, the dark side is not so bad. In Febraury I did a similar move with the S197 to a Trans Am. I would get the C5, but I still need practicality so I went with the same engine, just dropped into the "family lady's Corvette".

The 2001 & 2002 Trans Ams have nearly identical powertrains to the C5. GM deliberately underrated the HP/TQ specs to halt competition with the C5. Most people I have met that have the 2001 or 2002 model year TAs are finding Dyno runs showing anywhere between 30-40 more than indicated. Most bone stock TAs @ the local raceway are pulling 13.0 - 13.2 seconds with an average trap speed of 110. Moderately modified and re-tuned crackin' 12.5 - 12.9.

Items for you to consider before going to a GM LS1 platform:

The LS1 is an unrefined engine when compared to the Ford platforms - 2V, 3V and 4V 4.6L engines. EXPECT, noises from the valve train, about 40% of these engines exhibit piston slap when cold thanks to GMs brilliant net build production method. Depending on the severity of the tolerance difference and number of cylinders affected, issues can range from NONE, excess oil consumption, cylinder wall scuffing and ring failure. Most have NO driveability issues with the internals until HP is in excess of 450 hp.

Valve train - tolerance excess in the valve train will cause the beehive springs to shimmy, dance and tipity tap. :D Meh, so long as the rocker arms don't loosen too much everything is all good, just annoying and noisey. Easy solution = REALLY LOUD EXHAUST. So, be forewarned and expect noise above and beyond anything you hear with the light tap of the Ford valve train.

Rear differential :rlaugh: :rlaugh: it's not a matter of WILL the 10-bolt fail, it is WHEN. Any used C5 you drive you will want to listen for grinding from the gear housing or a nice dry annoying thump-thump-thump from the right hand side which is usually attributable to a failing pinion shaft.

Engine Bay - :eek: Eek - Eek - T I G H T. Trying to swap out plugs is awesome. :nice: #7 & #8 are tucked under the firewall, so expect to be a contortionist with some donor skin.

So there you are. In all honesty this is what to expect on the average LS1/GM with a 10-bolt rear. I would NOT trade this TA for a Stang. I love the unrefined power hidden in this engine. The capacity is incredible and the mid-range power is right where you need it at all times.

The darkside or not, it is simply a totally different vehicle than the Stang.

Here are a couple teasers from the local raceway. Mmmmmmmm :drool:

View attachment 370707
View attachment 370708
View attachment 370709

Not at all Pliskin. There is no comparison to be made between apples and oranges. Fruit is fruit.

I was giving him information concerning the engine and drivetrain. I go to the track every Wednesday, Sport. I know what the S197s are laying down and what my old, old, old, old, old, old, old, old, old, old, old, old, old, old, old, old TA is.

Oh and NO I am not so ill informed as to line up with you @ the tree, engine-to-engine all out and even think I would come close.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. :)

Not at all Pliskin. There is no comparison to be made between apples and oranges. Fruit is fruit.

I was giving him information concerning the engine and drivetrain. I go to the track every Wednesday, Sport. I know what the S197s are laying down and what my old, old, old, old, old, old, old, old, old, old, old, old, old, old, old, old TA is.

Oh and NO I am not so ill informed as to line up with you @ the tree, engine-to-engine all out and even think I would come close.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. :)

I LOVE TAs. They look good in my rear view mirror.

I'll chime in now. It is up to you but, the dark side is not so bad. In Febraury I did a similar move with the S197 to a Trans Am. I would get the C5, but I still need practicality so I went with the same engine, just dropped into the "family lady's Corvette".

The 2001 & 2002 Trans Ams have nearly identical powertrains to the C5. GM deliberately underrated the HP/TQ specs to halt competition with the C5. Most people I have met that have the 2001 or 2002 model year TAs are finding Dyno runs showing anywhere between 30-40 more than indicated. Most bone stock TAs @ the local raceway are pulling 13.0 - 13.2 seconds with an average trap speed of 110. Moderately modified and re-tuned crackin' 12.5 - 12.9.

Items for you to consider before going to a GM LS1 platform:

The LS1 is an unrefined engine when compared to the Ford platforms - 2V, 3V and 4V 4.6L engines. EXPECT, noises from the valve train, about 40% of these engines exhibit piston slap when cold thanks to GMs brilliant net build production method. Depending on the severity of the tolerance difference and number of cylinders affected, issues can range from NONE, excess oil consumption, cylinder wall scuffing and ring failure. Most have NO driveability issues with the internals until HP is in excess of 450 hp.

Valve train - tolerance excess in the valve train will cause the beehive springs to shimmy, dance and tipity tap. :D Meh, so long as the rocker arms don't loosen too much everything is all good, just annoying and noisey. Easy solution = REALLY LOUD EXHAUST. So, be forewarned and expect noise above and beyond anything you hear with the light tap of the Ford valve train.

Rear differential :rlaugh: :rlaugh: it's not a matter of WILL the 10-bolt fail, it is WHEN. Any used C5 you drive you will want to listen for grinding from the gear housing or a nice dry annoying thump-thump-thump from the right hand side which is usually attributable to a failing pinion shaft.

Engine Bay - :eek: Eek - Eek - T I G H T. Trying to swap out plugs is awesome. :nice: #7 & #8 are tucked under the firewall, so expect to be a contortionist with some donor skin.

So there you are. In all honesty this is what to expect on the average LS1/GM with a 10-bolt rear. I would NOT trade this TA for a Stang. I love the unrefined power hidden in this engine. The capacity is incredible and the mid-range power is right where you need it at all times.

The darkside or not, it is simply a totally different vehicle than the Stang.

With you most of the way. However my '98 Camaro Z28s LS1 and my 02 Z06s LS7 were quieter and certainly no less refined than the 3v. The S-197 makes some pretty weird noises on top too. Some of the early LS1 and LS6s did have some issues with oil burning and yes the rear axle is weak but should last if not excessively abused. I loved my Z28 dearly but only after a full set of SFCs and a strut brace cured it's floppiness and that is the biggest difference between the two cars. the Mustang is a stiff mutha, period, so will handle better.

As for the C5 not looking like a supercar, i sometimes think that familiarity must breed contempt and stereotypes breed loathing or envy. Over here in the UK, most people don't even know what a Corvette is but will happily call it a Ferrari all day long. It will also draw people to it like a Ferrari. The onlt time it becomes invisible is when a Viper appears but that's a vulgar shouty in-your-face design based more on a hot wheels car - funnily enough it shares those qualities with the carton-like Corvette C3. Subtlety is a fine art and muscle cars are anything but subtle.

For me, the C6 fails miserably - it's too short (the C5 Z06 looked mid-engined), too damn smiley and too damn tall. Overall it looks like a pumped up Miata. IMHO.

I road in a Corvette. Was way too low to the ground for my poor back and arthritis.
The Mustang is actually easier to get in and out for me. And that includes my wife's Mariner. I can hardly get in that thing, but I have no problem with my Mustang.
I have a handicapped decal and get strange looks when parking in a handicapped zone with a Mustang GT (automatic). I can't imagine what kind of looks I would get in a Corvette.
I also agree. This is a Mustang forum, isn't it?

I road in a Corvette. Was way too low to the ground for my poor back and arthritis.
The Mustang is actually easier to get in and out for me. And that includes my wife's Mariner. I can hardly get in that thing, but I have no problem with my Mustang.
I have a handicapped decal and get strange looks when parking in a handicapped zone with a Mustang GT (automatic). I can't imagine what kind of looks I would get in a Corvette.
I also agree. This is a Mustang forum, isn't it?

Handicap stickers and Chevys (especially Vets) go hand in hand.