Wouldn't Ya Know It, High School '89 Gt Look Alike Nearby

95BlueStallion

My assy trans to myself
15 Year Member
Feb 22, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
  • Sponsors (?)

I actually do think it will probably find its way to my garage. I havent been able to get it out of my head. I will not be paying $8k for it though. While the color combo is dear to me, I know its not the most desirable to the general public. That, and its not in as good of shape as the pictures make it seem.

I went and drove it over my lunch break. The map light works, ash tray door shuts... Matter of fact the only option that did not work was the power lock button on the driver's door. Passenger side made both doors lock and unlock fine though. Power hatch and fuel buttons work, all lights, and I let it idle for about 15 minutes after my test drive and the temp stayed right in the middle of the gauge. Hell, even the factory radio works perfectly. I'm hooked. I have a buyer in mind for my winter driver Explorer, so if that pans out on Monday, I will be bringing this car home and driving my Charger year round for a couple years. The sound and feel sent me right back to my senior year of high school.

Reactions: 3 users
No loan. If I sell my explorer for what my potential buyer and I have discussed, I can pay the rest in cash. The hardest part will be taking the lashings from the wife when I show up in the driveway with it, because she just wont understand if I discuss it before hand. "Let me get this straight... Youre getting rid of a 4WD winter SUV family hauler to drive your near perfect SRT8 Charger year round... And to put that old heap of crap in the garage?" To which I say, "Yes darling, that is the idea."

I often think of when my dad and I talked of restoring an '85 GT into a street beast right before moving back to IA from TX. The car was abandoned on a property the owner of our farm also owned, and he said we could have it for free. Then we ended up moving to IA a few months later and now its long gone (I checked when I went to Dallas last December). I always wish we would have at least brought it with us. This could be a car that reminds me of my first Mustang, and also one that I can restore with my boys as they grow up. It is very nice, but needs plenty of TLC they can help me with.

:thinking: Hmmm, now that I start getting all sappy, I start to wonder if I should start a gofundme page with this stuff. Then again, all the car guys that read it are also too broke to contribute. :doh:

Reactions: 2 users
I hope you can get it Jeeves,...I need another person to badger, and you have to have a car for me to be able to effectively do that.

This means that we are getting a loan then?

Another car loan to keep the one for the Chrysler happy?

If by "we are getting a loan" you mean that you are contributing, then I will gladly PM my address to send your half to.

If by "we are getting a loan" you mean that you are contributing, then I will gladly PM my address to send your half to.
Nope That is definitely not what I meant.

I can contribute in other ways however. How bout instead of buying that 8k near perfect aero car, you buy my way less than perfect 86 for 1500? Then you can keep the winterr SUV and the SRT, ANND have a rust free four eye for you and the kids to build from scratch.

Hows that for contributing?

Reactions: 2 users
While that is remotely tempting fiscally speaking, I dont have the room for all three cars. Then there is the fact that aero cars were the ones that made me fall in love with Mustangs as a wee boy. Add to that that the '89 was my first Mustang, which I bought 100% on my own, and loved every second of driving it. I actually sold it because I thought I needed something "more practical" for college. Man was I young and dumb.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been predicting the prices on these cars shooting through the roof now for the last five years... Only to be followed by, "No way. Those cars aren't worth that kind of money." Well, guess what? When it gets right down to it, a 69 SS Camaro or a 70 Mach 1 isn't worth the money they bring either, are they? After all, they are just old cars.

Or are they? What it boils down to is supply and demand. Cars are worth what people will pay for them, plain and simple. Younger people who have always wanted a foxbody are paying more money for a clean example because they can afford to, and the supply is slowly dwindling. If you'd told me in 1990 my 70 mach would bring 20k today I'd have laughed at you.. but guess what?

Reactions: 1 user
I've been predicting the prices on these cars shooting through the roof now for the last five years... Only to be followed by, "No way. Those cars aren't worth that kind of money." Well, guess what? When it gets right down to it, a 69 SS Camaro or a 70 Mach 1 isn't worth the money they bring either, are they? After all, they are just old cars.

Or are they? What it boils down to is supply and demand. Cars are worth what people will pay for them, plain and simple. Younger people who have always wanted a foxbody are paying more money for a clean example because they can afford to, and the supply is slowly dwindling. If you'd told me in 1990 my 70 mach would bring 20k today I'd have laughed at you.. but guess what?

I bet if I told you what a local dealer got for one at auction recently you would crap yourself

The difference with our cars is they just don't have the mass appeal. A 60's mustang or camaro is recognized world wide. A fox body not so much. For the prices to start really going north it is going to take the collectors to get involved, people who want them to collect, restore, and sell, not modify and have fun with like us. Then before you know it we wont be able to find cheap parts for our cars because some douche has all the parts to complete his concourse of an 88 GT, just so he can roll it across the auction block then buy another one.

The difference with our cars is they just don't have the mass appeal. A 60's mustang or camaro is recognized world wide. A fox body not so much. For the prices to start really going north it is going to take the collectors to get involved, people who want them to collect, restore, and sell, not modify and have fun with like us. Then before you know it we wont be able to find cheap parts for our cars because some douche has all the parts to complete his concourse of an 88 GT, just so he can roll it across the auction block then buy another one.

I dont see that ever being the case, honestly. Pre 80's cars being made of all metal is where the cool factor comes from. Once cars like our beloved foxes started having plastic bumpers and super cheap interiors, the collect ability just isnt the same IMO. Sure, we fox nuts like them and seek out nice ones, but I dont ever see them getting to the concourse restoration category.

I tell you this though, after owning this Dodge, I really hope it pans out to where I can pick up this GT. Modding a Dodge is ridiculous. Nothing is simple, its super expensive, and not at all user friendly. Cant even delete the catalytic converters for some throaty sound without tripping a CEL and putting the car in limp mode. No one makes a mail order tune to get around it, you have to get a custom tune from a shop to have it done right. You want to put in an aftermarket double din nav? Sure thing, the wiring kit that allows the car to turn it on is only $150. I am ready to get back to something I can play with, and just enjoy dd'ing the SRT.