Wow,Great tires.

rabidscoobie

10 Year Member
Jun 21, 2007
College Station,TX
Just got some Yokohama S. Drives 275/40/17's installed and they are so much better ride and feel than any others Ive had.And not too bad priced.

And Ive had BFGoodrich KD's(not bad,but die fast),Fuzion ZRi(worst ever),Kumho,Falken(not good),Goodyears(always had blowouts),and prob some others that I cant think of.
They really hook up,no more breaking loose when I slam it at 60mph and the feel when cornering just feels so smooth,the Fuzions I always thought of slush when cornering.

Just have to wait and see how the tread holds up.
When I got the car it had new Fuzions on and they were dead after about 8k miles,but in 2 years thats about all Ive put on the car so I just rode them out until I needed more.
Reason they didnt last was that you cant even take off from a stop without breaking loose and now with the 4.10's....horrible,but they burned really good last night...:D,shoulda got vids...:(

• Sponsors (?)

I will never own another set of Yokohamas mine wore out way too fast, were too harsh, and tramlined like crazy. Might want to actually run them for a while before you go reviewing them...

I will never own another set of Yokohamas mine wore out way too fast, were too harsh, and tramlined like crazy. Might want to actually run them for a while before you go reviewing them...

I know my opinion could change,but its just what Ive noticed so far from my experience with others.And its not really a review...Not sure of what tramlined means...do you mean tracking the road,following the grooves?

As for not lasting long what performance tires really do....:shrug:
I usually buy tires once every 2 years,not bad for performance tires.
Kumho's are descent if you dont have alot of cash to spend at the time.I liked the BF's but they dont last long and get hard to fast.

So what tires do you like?and why?

I like BFG, they are the only tires I will buy these days. The reason I like them is they have performed well for the price both on my Mustang and on my Civic. IMHO they are a great tire for the price. Also, most Mustang owners run BFG there must be a reason for that.

IME I have had problems with Yoko and Fuzions. I like Falken and BFG.

I ran a set of the S-drives and loved them. They wore perfectly even
and lasted 25k, which I consider good for a performance tire.
They were probably the quietest tire Ive had as well. I went with some
Nitto 555's this time just to try something different.
I dont know which Yokohama you tried Kilgore, but they definatly wernt
the S-drives.
DSCN0062.jpg

I had Yokohama AV ES-100s

oh no wonder,those are terrible from what Ive heard.
Fuzions..worst tire ive ever had.Never again

BFG's I would buy again,they just get hard to quick for me,dunno if its climate or what.

Falken...well Ive never run them on my cars but last spring I had a set of Falkens put on my wifes Taurus and not happy at all,will be lucky to last another 6 months...terrible tread wear,1 rear tire had to already be replaced since for some reason it started to look like a tank track....:mad:

As for the BFG's most stangs around here run em,but there are a few here running the S.Drives and really like them,not only that but a couple here have said good things about them,thats why I figured id try.Happy so far.Only time will tell.

ive got high hopes for the Nittos i just ordered for my new rims, should be here monday. I like the BFG's, so far havent tried any of the others mentioned

Never tried Nittos,around here nobody likes them so Ive always been kinda iffy at trying.
BFG's are good,but does anyone else have issues with them getting hard at about 50% tread wear and not gripping much at all after that happens?
I just hope the Yoko's dont do that.

ive got high hopes for the Nittos i just ordered for my new rims, should be here monday. I like the BFG's, so far havent tried any of the others mentioned

You won't be disappointed.

Never tried Nittos,around here nobody likes them so Ive always been kinda iffy at trying.
BFG's are good,but does anyone else have issues with them getting hard at about 50% tread wear and not gripping much at all after that happens?
I just hope the Yoko's dont do that.

(No offense meant here) Have the people you know actually had them on their car? Because I've never heard a single person say anything bad about the Nittos.

The guy I buy all my tires from has a full bolt on, geared 04 GT; he says he's tried every tire out there, and that none of them are as good as the Nittos, especially considering their price. (He was talking about the NT555s.) Said he'll never put a different tire on his car.

I've got the NT555s (255/40-17) on my car, and they are great, in every way possible. Great dry traction, great wet traction, and they are lasting very good so far (150ish passes at the track, and 20,000 miles, and comparing them to my new 555Rs (same depth tread), I'd say they have at least half tread life left). My car won't break them loose at anything more than about 7-8 mph, and that's saying something for a car making 300+ ft-lbs of torque at that speed.

My granddad has the 555s (275/40-17) on his stock, auto, Mach 1. From a stop, with no break, it will not even chirp them, not even a little bit. You really have to stand on the brake and gas to get them to break loose.

I recently got a set of the 555Rs (275/40-17) for track duty. I have nothing but good to say about them. I ran them at 35 pounds of air, and they're on 8 inch rims, so I was loosing some contact patch there. I was cutting low 1.9x 60's, and that was with the stock stall and 3.27 gears. No tire spin at all. When I put just a little heat to them, I couldn't break them loose unless I just mashed the gas while on the brake. I left off idle one time, and just matted it. Absolutely no wheel spin.

Bottom line, if there's a tire out there that is better overall than the Nitto (cost, wet and dry traction, tread life, etc), well, I'd have to see it to believe it.

Glad to see you got a tire that you like, though.

Well ive known 2 guys that have run Nitto's but....1 is a moron so he doesnt really count I guess and the other is just hard on any tire.
Others I dunno if they have really run them but around here unless its BFG's not many will talk good about any others.

But there are also alot of college students around here that think they know alot but really dont.Im not saying they arnt good cause ive never run them.

Honestly until Ive heard several talk about the Yoko's here and local I was gonna get the Nitto's,
Maybe next set Ill give em a try but so far these S. Drives are nice,It takes quite a bit to break em loose compared to any Ive used in the past.I can really lay into 2nd now without the rear pulling hard to right...:D.

STFU ya stoopud n00b. :p

Most Yoks I ran I wasnt very happy with but I have 6000 miles on my new S-Drives and by far they are the best tire I ever had. They are silent, track great, killer traction, PERFECT wear, look great and are affordable. I have them in 275/40/18 and they were $172 each. I will buy them untill Yokohama stops making them.

Just for comparison I like them better then these tires I have ran:
Michelin Pilot Sport 1 and 2
Michelin HX
Michelin MX
Kumuho ASX, AST
BFG TA, TAKD, TAKDW, TAKD Sport
Goodyear GS, GS-C, GS-D, GT+4, ST, F-1, Gatorback VR&ZR
Nitto 455, 555 Extreme, 555 Drag
Pirelli P-Zero, P9000, P7000
Sumitomo HTRZ1&2&3
General UHP
Fusion ZR