Wow, its like a new engine

Discussion in 'Classic Mustang Specific Tech' started by 72grande, Feb 13, 2006.

1. 72grande

72grande Founding Member

And it didnt cost me a cent, just a little time.

On saturday I went through every vacuum hose in the engine comaprtment. I found a few that were hooked up incorectly, and a few others that were cracking. Fixed those problems, but the car didnt run any better, In fact it ran worse.

But then today I went back and did some basic re-tuning to the carb. Holy crap, its like a new engine. It idles better, its more responsive, and acceleration is much, much better.

So no new great insight ito performance here, just my personal testimony to making sure your basic's are covered. If your car isnt performing as good as you think it should, you might not need to do anything other than spend a little quality time with a flat head screwdriver. The difference can be astounding. :hail2:
  2. mustangdave

mustangdave My rearend needs a stud and two nuts. Founding Member

It's been my observation that the first thing people like to do is twist on the screws on the carb. when it's probably a cracked vaccuum line like you found, a fouled plug, or something else simple. Good work!!:nice: I'm 42 and have never seen a carb. go out of adjustment; it has always been something else that makes a car run rough and people jump to those screws, then the next guy, like 72 grande, has to fix the original problem, then retune the carb.