WOW my driveshaft bolts are DIESAL!

i need ideas. my driveshaft bolts simply wont break loose. i have tried every trick in the book. pentrating lube, pipe over wrench for leverage, tighten a little first then try to break loose... NOTHING works lol. my DS just turns, even with the E brake on and someone holding the brakes. ieven broke my 3/8 breaker bar! what the hell and i doing? lefty loosey i kno, but they arent reverse threads are they? i need some ideas lol collective thinking just might help solve this.

• Sponsors (?)

cevtv said:
HEAT. Use a propane torch to heat the bolts - they will come right out. The bolts have thread lock on them from the factory............ :bang:

Right on the money. Put some heat on them with a propane torch and they will come out quick and easy. I have wrestled with them a few times. Never again. And remember to put some locktite on them when you reinstall the driveshaft or they can loosen up. Mine did.

89sleeper said:
I have always used the 12mm 12 point wrench with my foot. With both the e-brake on and the tranny in gear.

Same here. Leg press method works every time.

Just make sure you do two with your left leg and 2 with your right leg. Dont want to end up with disproportionate quad development do ya!! :D

cevtv said:
HEAT. Use a propane torch to heat the bolts - they will come right out. The bolts have thread lock on them from the factory............ :bang:
Another vote for the heat - I spent an hour trying to get these bolts out then took the propane torch to them and they literally backed out easily.

Car RamRod said:
:stupid:
nows when you wanna help yourself out for next time....put some neverseize on them bolts on the way back in.

I wouldn't put never seize on them, that can act as a lubricant and they can back out over time. If the threads are all mucked up use a wire brush to clean them up. Put lock tite on them before you torque them (80 ft-lbs.)

Put the e-brake on and have someone stand on the brakes. Then with the car on jackstands, get the wrench square on the bolt, pull ur jack out and put it on the otherside of the wrench, then start jackin. It should break loose without to much of a problem. The bolts will break loose from the weight of the car and the pressure of the jack lifting. Hydraulics works wonders. Be careful

Nick

ALMOSTFINISHED said:
Put the e-brake on and have someone stand on the brakes. Then with the car on jackstands, get the wrench square on the bolt, pull ur jack out and put it on the otherside of the wrench, then start jackin. It should break loose without to much of a problem. The bolts will break loose from the weight of the car and the pressure of the jack lifting. Hydraulics works wonders. Be careful

Nick

i tried that, but the muffs are still on the car and they dont give me a good angle. i got one off after letting penetrating lube sit for like an hour. i tried another that wasnt lubed and it went no where. ill re spray all of them and get the others out
thanks alot guys

Ew yeah....I only use universals with an impact gun as a last resort.
Im telling you man...heat them up now before trying anything else. Otherwise your gunna hurt yourself, strip the head, or snap the head clean off (BAD).

heh, they make swivel sockets esp for impacts, just make sure you use one of those or an impact grade swivel. Man if you're having that hard of a time and the torch method doesnt work just take them to any shop and ask them to bust them loose, and then put them back in not so snug, they'll probably do it for free or really cheap on lunch or something.

DrMaxit said:
heh, they make swivel sockets esp for impacts, just make sure you use one of those or an impact grade swivel. Man if you're having that hard of a time and the torch method doesnt work just take them to any shop and ask them to bust them loose, and then put them back in not so snug, they'll probably do it for free or really cheap on lunch or something.

Exactly. And there is a reason why.

I'll second the heat. Get a cheap propane torch, comes in real handy.

cevtv said:

Again ... this is the right way to do it.

Please don't try any of the other methods with jacks and leg presses -- those are just good ways to break off bolts or hurt yourself. Put some heat right on the bolt and they come out easily. Put some LocTite on the bolt when they go back in and they stay in. Simple. :nice: