Wow, subframes made a world of difference!!

SmockDoiley

Jun 14, 2003
San Diego, CA
So, I havent really driven around on my new subframes yet,but just cruising through parking lots and going over dips, its a lot stiffer. These things really make a big difference and it didnt take long to weld in. I'm very pleased, and the car doesnt creak or bend at all now. Anybody else love their subframes? Also, who here has installed sway bars before? Did it help out or was it too stiff? I've heard that beefing up both front and rear can make the car too tight in corners. So far I have the subframes, Eibach springs, and BBK upper and lower control arms. Without going nuts with coilover kits, and tubular K-members what cheap things like Sway bars can I do? I know I need new sway bar bushings too but I dont want to rebuild the whole front end with a kit, plus I heard they squeak a lot. Think I should do the sway bars?

• Sponsors (?)

A stronger sway bar will help keep the car more level, but that might not be the best thing for handeling. First of all, the stocker is pretty thick to begin with and most suspension builders don't mess with it until they have everything else done and they use it for "tuning" purposes. Although it keeps the body level and tires planted, it makes it have the characteristics closer to a solid axel, which is bad if there are bumps in the road. I deleted my swaybar in the front, really helps traction. Try a panhard bar that will keep the back axel located, read the reviews secton, every one loves them.

Subframes are great though, I agree. :nice:

I think I'm going to go with Steeda's sway bar(15% stiffer) because its not a huge step up but itll be clean and powder coating and it comes with new pivot bushings and new end link bushings. My stock bar is rusty and the pivot bushings are TOASTED. And I'm going to get their Strut Tower Brace and C/C plates. Someone told me if you have lowering springs you have to have the C/C plates.

Yea, the subframes I have instantly changed how my car felt. (Like a big go-cart) no more twist/flex and yea Mike is right just go buy some, and be sure to weld them in. My 89' car came with the bolt on's and I had them welded. No more rusty bolts.

Marcus

Any ragtop needs all the reinforcements you can get. Put mine on in 92/93 and my ride has felt very solid ever since. Very good value for so little bucks!! I have got Kenny Brown strut towers, four link under engine brace and full subframes.

Anbody do that K-brace, and if so did it help out. I'm on this kick to go all beefy on the suspension because I like how the subframes made a difference. Plus all that stuff is cheap. I know its not all out race 5-link and tubular K member stuff; but springs, control arms, subframes, strut tower brace, K-brace, and front sway bar is a good amount of stuff to add and together should make a world of difference. Just the 2 front braces, and sway bar to go.

I had an 89 GT convertible. I had Kenny Brown subframe connectors, strut tower brace and 4 point K member brace. These parts made an amazing difference in the feel of the car with the top up or down. I have a set of Kenny Brown Extreme matrix braces, subframe connectors and jacking rails for my 90 LX Coupe waiting to be welded in right now.