Wow, that was kind of scary...

Matto

Apr 21, 2003
Arkansas
I was out driving around just now, and I was coming back towards my house and I got on it pretty hard going over a bridge, then came a stop sign ahead so I started shifting down, and I think I was in third. Well, when I went to hit my brakes they weren't stopping my car and my steering wheel felt kind of stiff. So I almost hit the car infront of me and went out into the intersection because my brakes were just barely stopping my car. I had to restart it as well, I'm not sure if it turned off right before all that happened or if it just died because I didnt have my foot on the clutch or what, it happened so fast. Does anyone have any ideas on the cause of this? I'd really hate for that to happen again and I hit another car. Once I started it back up though everything worked again... not sure what was up...

• Sponsors (?)

neoclasiccl said:
sounds like the dreaded stall :notnice:
Yeah I was kind of thinking about that, but I wasn't sure if my incident was similar or not. You'd think even stalling you'd still have some brake power wouldn't you? How have they fixed this problem?

Indiana said:
Are there any conditions that make the stall more likely? Mine did it once when I was well into my last 1/4 tank of gas but still not on "E".
Weird, I'm on a quarter of a tank as well... but I haven't had this problem yet and I've ran it close to E many times... How much does Ford charge to do the reflash, do you know?

I didn't realize this was a documented problem. This happened to me once before, I was driving down a big off ramp and the car just shut off, brakes got mushy and I lost power steering. 2 seconds later I realized the car had stalled and I hit the clutch and restarted the car at 40mph.

Do you guys have any more info on this? Like a website or something with details on why and how to fix?

stangboy999 said:
I didn't realize this was a documented problem. This happened to me once before, I was driving down a big off ramp and the car just shut off, brakes got mushy and I lost power steering. 2 seconds later I realized the car had stalled and I hit the clutch and restarted the car at 40mph.

Do you guys have any more info on this? Like a website or something with details on why and how to fix?
Sounds exactly like my situation man... I really need to fix this problem, because I only have liability insurance so if I hit something I am screwed.