Wrecked customized 95 - Advice needed

blazer0x

Sep 13, 2010
I'm mostly posting this for my buddy, who is "not a computer guy". When I moved to Arizona I brought with my my slightly modified 95 Mustang that was in pristine condition. I got a job that required a considerable commute, so I ended up buying a new car and giving the mustang to my friend (yeah I'm a great friend).

Anyhow today he was turning into a dirt road too fast, and slid into a tree. All I know of the damage is a picture he sent me, and hearsay from his dad who is a mechanic that says the car isn't worth towing back home.

He asked me if he should just "sell it cheap" to a salvage yard or part it out. Knowing what parts I had in the car before I gave it to him I said "hell no" to the salvage yard idea.

So the question is now, what is the best to do:
1. Sell off the performance parts and any valuable stock parts, and then bring what is left to salvage yard.
2. Find a buyer who will buy the car as-is.
3. Keep the car and buy another 95 that would enable making one good car out of the parts from both.

Some parts that are in the car off the top of my head:
* Custom wheels - 10" in back, with Firestone 395-40 ZR17 tires.
* Bassini X-Pipe
* Mac cat-back system
* Cold air intake
* Suspension - Caster/Camber plates, Indy sport springs, Koni shocks & struts, GlobalWest rear control arms
* NOS dry injection system with 15lb bottle
* Aftermarket external fuel pump
* Aftermarket (BBK?) fuel pressure regulator
* March underdrive pulleys
* March 3.73 differential
* An electronic box (cant remember the brand name atm) that connects to the tranny (it's an AOD-E transmission) that allows you to recalibrate the speedo for different size tires and gears.
* Steeda rear race wing
* The AOD-E was rebuilt a few years ago with a shift-kit

You can see why I thought it would be unwise for him to dump this car off at a salvage yard. He's not really a car guy either so he does not/did not even know what all parts were in it.

Anyhow, it's legally his car, so it's his choice, but I'd like some advice so that he can see what others think, and that there is value in the mods that someone will want, even if the frame is bent and the car is un-driveable.

• Sponsors (?)

Lots of good part salable parts but is your friend able to part it out and is he likely to know what to ask for them. Does he have a place to store the car in the meantime? His best bet may be to find a buyer who wants a parts car for the good stuff.

Yeah he said almost exactly that - he doesn't know what the parts are worth (I could help him with that somewhat, I think I still have the orig receipts, but not sure what the market value for them is as used pulls. He would also need to find a place to store it, the HOA wouldn't tolerate a wrecked car in the driveway.

It sounds to me like the best bet is to find someone who will just take the whole thing away, which makes it even harder to put a price on it.

Sorry to hear about this.

Out of curiosity, what part of AZ?

He could toss it on CL and sell it as-is. It'd probably fetch more than a yard would give.
If his mechanic dad wants to strip it, then that's another option.

I can tell you straight that nitrous system and the wheels aren't worth anything. As a good friend, you can ship them to me, and I'll get rid of them for you.

Kurt

Sorry to hear about this.

Out of curiosity, what part of AZ?

He could toss it on CL and sell it as-is. It'd probably fetch more than a yard would give.
If his mechanic dad wants to strip it, then that's another option.

North Phoenix. I agree, posting an ad with some pics on Craigs List is probably the first thing he should do. I also suggested putting a flyer up at the "All Mustang" salvage yard on University drive.