Wrong Size Rims What Size Should I Use?

Max22

Jul 1, 2015
I recently purchased a 96 mustang gt and found out it has the wrong size tires and rims. It currently has bullitt rims with 245/45ZR18 dimax R8 tires. Thought everything thing was fine but when I turn extreme left or right my rims scrape on the inside. Also it's lowered but I'm not sure by how much.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah I figure I'll play around until I get them right. I'll upload some pics once they arrive and are installed. But it didn't seem like I could find any smaller than 25mm (1")

Maybe the problem isn't the size, but the offset? I'm guessing that maybe you have 2005+ wheels, and while they will bolt up to a 94-04 Mustang, the offset it way wrong and you need at least a 1", maybe a 1 1/4" spacer to make them work (and look) almost right. The correct solution is getting the right offset wheels, but good hub centric spacers will get you by.

BTW I am running 17x9 wheels with 275/40x17 tires (that are significantly wider than your 245/45x18s) and I don't have any tire rub issue at all.

You mean 17x8

To the OP,
is it rubbing on the suspension or the plastic wheel well above the tire? If its hitting suspension, the rims have the wrong offset, if its hitting the plastic, the 45 series tire is too tall.
Good point....a 245/45/18 is over inch taller than stock and probably the source of his rubbing issues. Compound that with the fact that he's got the car lowered and it's now wonder he's having problems. A 245/40/18 would bring him just about back to stock height and take care of any rubbing issues he has....all while providing a lower profile look to boot.

Something tells me just a tire swap will cure your issues @Max22 so unless you're bored with the wheels you have, there's probably no reason to change them.

That being said, we still don't know what they are? No SN95 Mustang came stock with 18" Bullett rims, so they're obviously either an S197 wheels, or something aftermarket. You also didn't state the rim width either? Get the tape measure out and take some measurements. Otherwise, you're just spit balling.

I never thought of the wrong year of rim. That's possible and I believe they are Cobra rims but I haven't gotten a positive id on them yet. They rub on my stabilizer bar and like the frame itself (where the hub connects up to the car, not sure what it's called) not the wheel well. I'll try to measure my width and get a few pics up in the next day or so so you guys get a better idea of what I've got.

Ok so I wasn't able to measure the rim width because I couldn't get a good measure on it. I did however measure the distance from the inside of the rim where you mount the tire to the outside of the rim and it came out to roughly 6 1/8" offset. Also in case anyone was curious I installed the spacers and now my tire rubs on my splash guard if I turn too far but I figure rubber on plastic is a lot better than metal on metal. I probably needed a 1/2" spacer, but too late now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 168